Hunter 26 and or 23.5 center board uphaul line.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
How do most of you hold the C/B uphaul line in position after you get it where you want it.
Right now I'm cleating it off on the cleat by the winch, but don't like the fact that it occupies the cleat. There is an old jamb cleat on the cabin top which I assume was meant for the line but it will barely fit into it and then I don't trust it to hold sufficiently. Was going to add another single line rope clutch beside the double line one that is on there now, but don't have room for it for it hits the ring that the other end of the line is tied off to. both the jamb cleat and if I added it (a rope clutch) both provide awkward angles for the line to enter also.... I'll try to get a picture this afternoon and add it to this post later... maybe you can understand what I am asking....

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Since I now have a roller furler, I don't use the rope clutch that was designated for the jib halyard. So I run my centerboard line through that clutch. I agree with you. The clam cleat is insufficient. A cam cleat would be a nice upgrade...

upload_2018-8-21_16-42-6.jpeg

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Cam cleats either but this one hasn't slipped on me in 18 summer seasons of sailing. I anchor often in shallow water so I use the uphaul a lot.

My roller Furler also freed up one of the clutches, but I use that for my boom Vang.

In the photo you might see a black band that I marked on the line. That's where I set the uphaul if I want the centerboard partially raised such that it's at the same depth as my rudder.
20180821_162715.jpg

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
rgranger, my uphaul line is larger than my haylards. I tried to get it into my extra (unused jib halyard) hole in my clutch, but couldn't get it to go.... I would probably just put a cam cleat somewhere if I knew where to put it and make it strong enough.. (I would probably have to access the underside to put a backing plate on it...)

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
You should just replace the last line in the 4:1 tackle on the deck. The one that goes from the pad eye through the nearest sheave and back to the clutch/cleat. Should be the same size as your halyards. After the 4:1 reduction, this line doesn't have a huge load on it, so there's no need for it to be a bigger diameter than the halyards.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Jeff Gray, though about doing just that, but wasn't too sure. larger line is easier to grab and grip....
Hunter manual states...
C/B Uphaul line = 7/16"
C/B cascade line - 5/16"
dumb question but which line is the cascade line ???

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Both of my lines are 5/16. And as Jeff said, there is not much of a load on either line.

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
The cascade lines are the two that are attached to the pad-eye on the deck that then go through the two pulleys of the 4:1 tackle. The heavier line is the one that goes from the second pulley down through the center post to actually lift the centerboard.