Hunter 25 PHRF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Rollins

I am considering racing my 1974 Hunter 25 next year. Does anybody have a current PHRF for this boat? If so, are you racing spinnaker or non-spinnaker? Finally, what are PHRFs for comparable boats in your fleet? Thanks for your help.

M

Michael O'Hara

PHRF = 122 to 128

You can check out a number of web sites with PHRF ratings. Just check out www.metafind.com and search "PHRF". The "basic" rating is 122; however, this doesn't account for being non-spinnaker (add 6) or the variation in keels on this boat. If you use the schell regression formula, you'll get about 140 for a shoal-draft keel, and about 128 for a regular keel. The H25 is a fun boat, and I've over-run new and old Catalina 27's regularly. But that is basically a function of better sail trim and / or light air conditions. Even so, this boat is NOT a light air boat, and is NOT going to win a regatta. Just have fun inflicting humility on those with numbers about 20 to 30 better than yours. (But watch out for those that are 20 to 30 more!) I sail my H25 in spinnaker fleet now, after spending the summer race series in non-spinnaker. But I've also got my boat for sale. I love her dearly, but 1) I'm too tall for the boat at 6'2", and 2) I want numbers closer to 135 - 160. I've had a fun time racing her, but now I'm ready to kick some butt, thank you! Good luck in the fleet! Michael O'

R

R Richter

H-25 in PHRF

As a 20 year plus H-25 owner and a PHRF Handicapper, I would like to comment. First this boat can and has won races provided the handicap spread is not too great. For example an H-25 would rate 228 on the Chesapeake...racing against boats up to about 40sec/mile faster it will be very competitive. The 73 and 74's are probably the best ones to race as they are the lightest. Obviously the boat needs a great deal of gear upgrade to compete at a good level, but the most important things are an adjustable backstay and a roller traveller mounted forward of the helmsman. Generally put as much rake ito the rig as you can stand, until weather helm becomes overwhelming (it probably won't). This is really important in light air. I have won a lot of races in light air (the boat is sneaky fast in this stuff) but you must get the bow down(no stern weight), twist the sails and sail the genoa like an FD (draft aft (up to 50% point) to maximize the ability to point). If you sail in a predominately light air area and its only a six second hit for a 170% genoa take it, the extra power and better sheeting angle are worth it. Also if you go chute racing don't get an all purpose chute get a runer and a reacher. The reacher will really pay on those tight reaches in light air where the boat can use more power. The runner helps because of hull shape the boat is really better up wind and down than it is reaching so the runner lets you sail deep and take advantage of that. Lots more tricks if you want them, move the battery from under the step to under te forward port berth etc etc. Good Luck!!

J

J.B. Hrab

Understanding PHRF

Understanding PHRF would help me to find out about the rating of a Jouet 1080 -Selection- with a 7/8 rig. This is a hell of a fast racing machine and recently on a 24 hour race on Lake Champlain he submitted a rating of 145 against my rating of 164 a Hunter Vision 32, standard. I was beaten on a corrected time by less than 5 minutes. I am not sure of this 145 rating: similar boats Gin Fizz, per example are 100 0r 110. Could you help on this or point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. J.B. Hrab

Status
Not open for further replies.