Hunter 25.5 yes or no?

SeanTX

Jul 23, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Canyon Lake
Looked at a Hunter 25.5 today. He is asking 3700. Most of the hatches leak. Also all cushions that need to be recovered. The bow has damage from running into the dock.

Damaged bow. Is it worth fixing? Water in the core?

I would have cleaned it up first!

Comes with portable AC he said he paid 700 for it.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I wonder what else the po didn't upkeep, if he hasn't bothered to clean her up before showing her, I'd worry what else is wrong, the bow can be easily fixed, get a survey done before committing

SeanTX

Jul 23, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Canyon Lake
Drain was disconnect in head sink. Would have been nice if he could make it to show me the boat. How much do surveys cost?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
that boat may clean up but it's going to take a lot of work and money .....make a list of what all it needs and the cost ...total that up with the purchase price and see if that's in your budget ...if so go find one you can buy for that total amount or less and go sailing this year........ good luck

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The bow damage is mostly cosmetic. Go for the important things 1) condition of the sails 2) inboard diesel or gasoline outboard and what is its condition 3) electronics and equipment, I see some solar panels, could be a plus. The portable A/C will be useless in a hot and humid environment as these units are inefficient by design. 4) Check all the through hulls and valves. These boats came with gate type valves which have likely exceeded their intended useful life and should be replaced by ball type valves. 5) condition of the canvas for bimini, sail cover and sun protection for headsail. 6) steering wheel or tiller, check the rudder. 7) underwater hull condition. Check the prices for h25.5 in good condition and determine if you have an adequate margin to perform all repairs from the $3,700 price tag. The other question you need to answer is how handy or mechanically inclined are you. Understand that your financial liability for owning the boat will exceed its purchase price as it can be costly to dispose of a boat not deemed worthy of repairs. For this reason alone I would encourage you to get a survey. It will also provide you a guide to effect repairs.

SeanTX

Jul 23, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Canyon Lake
Left out 9.8 outboard. What can I expect to pay for a survey?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
make some calls and get quotes ..it depends sometimes on the sizeof the boat and the type of survey you have preformed ......and don't use one the seller recommends......starting price may be as low as $500.00 us..it could be lower but not common.....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Y'all have a club down on Canyon Lake, I've been there. Ask the other sailors what a local surveyor charges.
The 25.5 is a nice, solid boat. My slip neighbor has one and I have been out on it. As benny says, find out what it will cost to make it sail worthy and decide if it's worth it to you.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I lived in San Antonio and had a Hunter 25.5 on Canyon Lake. It's like we're twins. I really liked the boat. Great sailing boat and perfect for the lake. I bought mine for $4000. It needed a bottom job and new sails. I did those things and sailed the boat for several years out of LCYC which I recommend. She is fast and points well. $3700 is a good price unless there are major issues. Leaky hatches, in my opinion are not major as they are easy and cheap to fix.

SeanTX

Jul 23, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Canyon Lake
Maybe it is your old boat? lmao man this boat is dirty! They camp under cockpit. Looks like room for 2. Had 2 pillows and a sleeping bag. Dirty was big turn off! I may buy it if he finds the title for the outboard. He said he bought it from a mechanic at the marina. Came off a rental boat I guess?? If I don't buy something else first! Haha . I have Hunter down to 3500

Any boats for sale at LCYC?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Not my boat. Wrong colors. The main thing to look for are issues that are expensive to repair like delamination in the deck or hull. Sails are expensive too so if the ones on the boat are in really bad shape I would ask for a discount. As someone who has sold a boat on Canyon with no trailer I can tell you that you are in a very strong position. Who else is gonna buy it? It took me a year to sell mine all the while paying the slip fee.

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Things to consider. And you should remember opinions from non family are like black water tanks. They are essential but frequently stink.

You might want to check and make sure the marina has extra slips and no waiting list. Sometimes if a marina is full, the boat's previous owner may keep the slip for her or his new boat. Or the marina may require you be on a waiting list as a new owner. However in this Texas economy, this is unlikely but worth a phone call to check. And BTW, with no trailer, what are the slip fees at the marina per year? If it takes you a year to repair the boat before you start enjoying moonlight cruising with your significant other, then remember the slip fees during repairs should factor into the cost. Plus, many marinas will charge another fee for shore storage while it is hauled out on top of slip fees. Further, many marinas because of insurance and EPA rules won't allow an owner to do fiberglass grinding, sanding, cutting or hull repairs them selves. They must hire marina staff or other bonded insured companies. That can easily exceed the cost of s boat in short order.

I would not be too afraid of condition, because sailing is sailing. But if appearance is important to you or your significant other, then, it is very important and these costs should be considered carefully, especially considering just how many really good sailboats are for sale in Texas now at bargain prices.

Again, glass work requires a haul out, labor, epa considerations, what do they charge for all that? That gets added to the cost. Can turn a dream into a nightmare in a hurry if you have to hire it all done.

Especially this is so when there are so many very good condition boats for sale in Texas so cheaply as now they are. And many have a trailer included.

a friend of mine who sells boats and accessories was lamenting the sail market. She said, "When gas goes back to $5 a gallon, sailboat prices will climb, but now it's not expected to be happening for at least a year or two." Two sides of the issue I guess.

Buy the boat, and have fun! Just keep both eyes fully open so there are no surprises.

SeanTX

Jul 23, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Canyon Lake
I bought it. I was wondering about the fiberglass work. Guess I can live with bow for awhile. The slip was transferable. The have open slips. One next to me has been vacant for a year. He wanted out. Going to buy house and needed the cash.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Congrats on the purchase. Canyon Lake is a good place to sail. This forum will provide lots of info on the boat. A good reference book to get is This Old Boat by Don Casey.

SeanTX

Jul 23, 2016
Hunter 25.5 Canyon Lake
Thanks! Waiting on my shore power hook up to arrive. Going to put AC in the hatch. Then I can deep clean the cabin. Been 100 here for weeks!!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I bought it. I was wondering about the fiberglass work. Guess I can live with bow for awhile. The slip was transferable. The have open slips. One next to me has been vacant for a year. He wanted out. Going to buy house and needed the cash.
Congrats, Have Fun.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
Congratulations, hope you have as much fun with your Hunter 25.5 as I do with mine. I agree with what has been said earlier, they are fast and point well.