Hunter 25.5 standing rigging

JBird

May 31, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Palm harbor
I have a 1985 Hunter 25.5 and I want to replace my standing rigging. I was wondering if anyone had the dimensions or the best way about getting the job done. Planning on replacing myself with the help of a guy that works at the marina. I was gonna start with the backstay and he suggested just removing and taking in to a rigging shop and have them duplicate it. Any help would be appreciated

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
That is one way to duplicate each rigging part (and might avoid dropping the mast) with a tensioned halyard to secure the mast in lieu of a sized material list or standing rigging specifications.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I dropped my mast. Labeled each cable and took them to a rigging shop. They made new ones. It all worked ok.

JBird

May 31, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Palm harbor
I’m in a slip and really don’t have the option to lower the mast. I checked here but it seems they don’t sell pre made standing rigging for boats. He told me I could just crank down on the main sheet and would keep the mast from leaning to do the backstay. I was gonna run the halyard back as well.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
He told me I could just crank down on the main sheet and would keep the mast from leaning to do the backstay. I was gonna run the halyard back as well.
If your topping lift is in good shape that might be okay but I think your idea to run the halyard to the transom is a prudent idea. Do both and you might even sleep through the next storm that blows through...:biggrin:

Mar 6, 2022
Hunter 23.5 Oceanside Harbor (trailered)
I like JoeWhites approach. But if specs is what you prefer, my owners manual for my Hunter 23.5 has a rigging specifications page that provides me with wire diameter, length, etc for replacement data. I would think yours would have a spec sheet as well. I downloaded my owners manual from this sight.