Hunter 25.5 pop up question

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 25.5 Atlantic Beach, Florida
Just bought sweet but neglected Hunter 25.5 1986, have question about the pop up feature of the cabin top. Wonderful feature, but really heavy for one person to lift, and how is it locked into place? I can see it crashing down and taking finger with it. Any advice would be appreciated.

mark

Sep 4, 2007
Does anyone know of an owners manual for Hunter 25.5 available for download?

May 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Lake Ray Hubbard
I used a heavy duty bungie throw around the front of the mast. I attach the bungie on each side to the pop top locking hardware. You want this bungie under significant tension.These pop tops are notorious for taking on water which makes them significantly heavier. My next job is figuring out how to repair the "holes" caused by the sliding piece hitting into the main (and hollow) larger pop top frame. I can see some attempts with some gray epoxy that obviously didn't prevent the pop top from taking on water. Some previous owner drilled holes to let this water out inside the cabin, so I've got buckets underneath, but these can overflow in a couple of days of heavy rain.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I have done some modifications to help with the issues presented on this topic. As to the weight. I have changed out my teak wood grab handles for stainless . Had them custom made by a welder fried of mine. On each side I mounted a bolt on eye. See picture below. Using a piece of line with two stainless carabiners (one on each end) I attached the carabiners to the Eyes on the grab handles, and with the main haliyard, I hoist the pop top. There is a hook in the mast slide to secure it, however, I see wear at the location where the pop top is held back by the pin. One day I will get to reinforcing that area. In the picture you can see where I have removed the teak wood slide covers and replaced them with aluminum ones. These I found at my local True Value Hardware store. Drilled holes and counter sunk the screws and after fixing the holes that the sliding hatch had made at the end of the slide I inserted rubber stoppers to absorb the knocking when visitors slam it back. I also cleaned out the entire channel and put Teflon sliding tape the length of the channel. Hope this helps. If you want to discuss further contact me via PM
IMG_0270.JPG

May 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Lake Ray Hubbard
That is some impressive customization on your pop top. The way it lifts...not straight up but more like 45 degrees up and forward...makes these modifications needed. The one quick idea it provides is replacing the wooden "slide covers" with aluminum, as you have done, but maybe taking that a step further to under mount rubber bar stock to this aluminum to both plug my damaged receiver and provide new protection against the thing that caused it. Thank you for sharing and the detailed text.

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks, found the hook, I don't think it is strong enough to work while under way, but works great, thank you. will still look for ways to raise the pop top, VERY HEAVY!

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
If you look at the picture, the left aluminum companion way slide track cover, right at the tip, just next to the piece of rope, you can just see the top of the rubber stopper.
I have taken Crazy Dave's recommendation and not sail with the pop top up. Besides, the boom vang would be in the way. I only have it up when motoring. A taught halyard, hooked to the pop top is my safety set up. Hate to see what that top would do to someones hand if it came slamming down. Chop them stubby little fingers of mine right off!:(