Hunter 240 spreader replacement

Dec 13, 2016
Hunter 240 Hudson, FL
I am a new Hunter 240 owner. My boat is a 1998 model. I am getting ready to put the boat in the water for the first time. While going over all the standing rigging today, I noticed the starboard spreader has a bend in it. The port spreader is still straight. I would guess the deflection in the spreader at the midpoint from its base to its tip is about 1". Should I be concerned? Anyone have an idea where I can purchase a replacement spreader? Craig.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I would ask the people here at SBO. They have helped me find parts for my H26 several times in the past. Just email them from the store page and tell them what you are trying to find. Someone will likely call you and get specific details and then find the part for you.

r

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Replace it. Spreaders go into HUGE compression to keep the mast upright when loaded. It does not have to be super strong, but it does has to be super STRAIGHT.

Think of a pencil. Very hard to brake while pushing on one end down its length, but a small bend and the same press will crack it easily.

Dec 13, 2016
Hunter 240 Hudson, FL
Thanks for the replies. I checked the store site, and see where they offer a complete mast setup including spreaders. I will contact them to see if they can provide me with just a set of spreaders.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jackdaw's suggestion is on the mark. However, I would look for a manufacturer's decal on the mast to be safe. At that time, due to a long story which I am not going into, several mast manufacturers were used to include US Spars (formerly Z Spar). Charleston Spar (Formely Kenyon Isomat and now Sparcraft) or Dwyer Aluminum.
If there is no manufacture's decal, take a photo of the spreader bar and post it so we can identify. If US Spar, you can go direct or the forum store which will have the exact one and the cost is about the same either way. If Dwyer Aluminum, not sure about the forum store but you can go direct. If Charleston Spar, go to Rigrite and they will get the right part to you but do include the model, Hunter 240.

Hunter set up this site forum store years ago and even the old Hunter is gone, they have the parts for your boat and one member or salesman on staff use to work at Hunter in warranty and of all things, dealer and retail parts. You will find the forum store very helpful, courteous and above board professional.

I use to be a dealer and know the small boats too well..

Dec 13, 2016
Hunter 240 Hudson, FL
Thanks for all the helpful information. I removed the spreader from the mast yesterday and brought it home. The bend in it wasn't quite as bad as I imagined, but there nonetheless. I suspended the spreader ends between two pieces of 2X4 on the shop floor, and stood on the middle of it with all my weight. After bouncing on it a few times, the spreader is now perfectly straight again. It seems to me that about the only way to induce such a curve in the spreader with the B&R type rig would be overtightening the lowers given that the tip is in a fixed position with the upper.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I think you are playing with fire on this one. Once bent and rebent into shape does weaken that aluminum spreader. I urge you to replace it

Dec 13, 2016
Hunter 240 Hudson, FL
Yes Dave. I agree. I did find pictures of the Z-Spar spreader extrusion and spreader tip that match what I have on the RigRite website. Thanks again for the info.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Z Spar for lack of lengthy reasons left the country but the product offered by US Spars is the same but under a different name but owned by the same folks. I believe then you have what was offered on the 240 was a US Spar spreader bar.

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 240 Panama City Beach
I know this is an old thread but I am replacing the spreader bracket on an H240. I went to Rig Rite for the parts. Any idea how to remove the old spreader bracket? do I need to remove the plates or can I just hit the bracket with a hammer to get it out? I have the model where the spreader bracket is one piece that goes all the way through the mast.

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 240 Panama City Beach
It is a Charleston spar. The spreader bracket is one piece that goes all the way through the mast