Hunter 240 needs stern rails and stern seats

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
My Hunter 240 came with an open transom - no stern rails or stern seats. I can purchase the rails and seats from hunterowners.com but I don't know how to install them. I cannot get access to the inside hull wall to reinforce with back plates. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
twalker, thank you so much for the speedy response! I continue to be amazed how well these boats are engineered. My 240 was built in 2002, do you think the stern deck metal was installed on mine too? I don't have that drawing in my owner's manual.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Do You have a wood bulkhead in the 240 aft under the cockpit area similar to the 260? If you do it is likely attached with a few screws which can be removed to allow access to the stern of the boat. On a bright day (or using a bright light) you should be able to see through the fibreglass, from the interior, and locate the plates. And yes I am confident yours has the plates as the drawing referenced dates from 97 and they continued with little change to 2005. Our 260 is a 2004 and has plates in similar locations.

you might be able to use a small stud finder as well to locate the plate locations.

a large volume of additional information is on the Marlow hunter site for our boats under service manuals - previous models. Info for the 240 is located here:

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Wonderful! Thanks again. I explored the site and downloaded all the drawings - especially the detailed drawing of the stern rails and seats.
My boat does not have the wooden bulkhead you mentioned. But there is a molded piece that may come off the back of the stern. But I think that will try the stud finder method first. I am also working with Al Fooks from hunterowners.com - apparently he worked at Hunter for many years. Sure appreciate your help. I take my family and grandchildren sailing on Lake Skinner, Diamond Valley Lake near Temecula, CA. Also to Long Beach and Ventura near LA. Great boat. Little too massive to pull with my Nissan Frontier 4 cyl but my F350 pulls it easily. Planning to replace my F350 with smaller truck (F150 with 6 cyl and 4x4 for ease on the ramp).

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
But I noticed there is a difference between the deck hardware drawing and the stern rail installation drawing. The plates are in different locations. I guess I'll have to get a stud finder to figure it out.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you need help on this boat send a private message with phone number. Former dealer and involved with the design
Info given as to embedded aluminum plates encapsulated in the fiberglass is correct.
Dave Condon

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There 's an H240 in the yard near my boat, with the rails I think. Is there something I can take pictures of it he has them?

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Had a look at the instructions and the Embedded metal plate diagram. Don’t think they disagree. the plate diagram indicates two plates (#5) at the stern and two along each side (#13). Where did you think there was a discrepency?

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Thanks, Dave and Justin. I will let you know if I need more help. Al Fooks is helping locate the stern rail system for my 2002 Hunter 240.

twalker, after taking a second look at the deck metal drawing and the installation drawing I guess I was mistaken. There seems to be no discrepancy. There are plates on the transom and on the side coaming. Al and Dave from sailboatowners.com are researching it and will get back to me in a few days. Sure appreciate your help. This is an amazing forum - I seek help and four people have responded within a few days!

Took my Hunter 240 out for a day sail in Lake Skinner, CA. Beautiful day - sunny at 70 degrees. I was impressed how well the boat handled with only 4 knots gentle breeze - tacked well in only light air. Six people had a great time. The only problem I encountered was we accidentally misaligned the boat on the trailer. We tried to retrieve manually and got the cb misaligned - we could not get it off the trailer - the cb was stuck on the frame and we could not back it off. So we pulled it all the way on misaligned and then relaunched it to dislodge it and back it off. Then we centered it on the trailer with the motor successfully - just like I have done before. Moral of the story: always retrieve by maneuvering with motor. Also, I think I will build a wooden guide system so the boat is easier to keep centered during retrieval.

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Al just got back with me. He is very thorough, responsive and supportive - a pleasure to work with. The stern rails and seats are going to cost close to $3k. Tried to find used ones but no luck so far. My next question is - how useful are they? Right now my transom is open - the life line stops about halfway through the cockpit. I am thinking the stern rails will provide more safety and more fun seating - but is it worth $3k? I would appreciate any feedback on the usefulness of the stern rails and seats. I also noticed that the stern rails do not rap around the transom - so I guess a lifeline should be installed there.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What's it worth to you? I faced the same dilemma on my Mac 26S. Used was unavailable, new was too expensive. Instead I bought a bigger boat that came with them. The admiral loves the feeling of security. She always makes me put out the babe seats.

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Justin, thanks for the feedback. I have been looking for the "perfect" boat over the past few years now - consequently I now have a fleet of small sailboats - all trailerable to nearby lakes. But of all my boats, the Hunter 240 comes close to being the best. Its a well designed boat - water ballast makes it easily trailerable for its size, ergonomic cabin, easy to rig even solo, handles well, parts available, good support network, lots of light and ventilation in cabin, can seat 8, etc. The only negative is the open transom. I also have a Potter 19, 15 and Lido 14 for smaller groups - each boat has its own key features.

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Justin, thanks so much for your continued help! I found a copy of the installation drawing on the Hunter 240 site - and I verified the location of the metal plates with a stud finder -and Al Fooks also verified it. The two transom plates are in the same location as yours BUT the two forward plates are on the coaming, not the rub rail area like yours. What year is your boat? Mine is a 2002.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It's not mine but I can ask. The owner goes to my church. We've known each other for decades.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I just heard back from my H240 friend. He says "1998 is the Hunter 240 mfg date. It was not launched until 2001" .