Hunter 240 Magic Tilt Trailers

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I received a private message which is prompting me to ask all Hunter 240 owners with Magic Tilt trailers to inspect what the registration and/or title shows for gross weight limit is allowed. Also look at the axle and tires load range.

I was there when Magic Tilt trailers came to the plant to design the trailer for the trailer with a friend, Ron Frisosky, who was also recognized as one of the top sailboat trailer designer. The Hunter 240 itself dry weight is 2300 lbs. The trailer I think is 1,065 lbs or in that range. Combined with gear and motor one individual advised weighing in at appx.3700 lbs. The stamped plate affixed to the trailer for gross wieght is 3420 to include trailer per the owner. Would someone please advise like @caverun what exactly that plate is? In addition, the individual advised when he bought his 240, the two tires load range together was less than 3420 lbs. which woiuld be unsafe. However, he did say the axle was rated for 5,000 lbs and he put two new tires on with a total load range now for 5,000 lbs.

The fellow's concern what if he had to go thru a weigh station and ticketed. For the record, I was told the trailer frame is stout to carry the Hunter 240. However, check both of your tires total load range to ensure that you have enough to carry all the wieght plus a minimum of 10 % or more for safety purposes. Also check the axle. If not, anything can happen and I seriously am concerned.

Secondly before going oout on a trip, check for any tire rot and replace that tire, Always carry a spare. Ensure the bearings are greased with compatible marine grease only. MAKE SURE TIRES ARE PROPERLY INFLATED BEFORE EACH TRIP. cHECK FOR LUG NUT TIGHTNESS. Go 10-20 miles and stop to check tie downs, winch strap, and feel for heat in the hubs. Some heat is fine but if super hot, you have problems. Always secure winch stand boat handle with rope secured to winch stand as that lock may come unlocked which has happenned to me in the past. You may want to carry an extra pair of bearing and racers if there is a failure and you are out in the boonies no where near a store. I think they are 1.98 bearings.

The first concern by the poster was the total weight load on stamped on the trailer plate. I advised I know of no state that requrires personally owned boat and trailer being required to go thru weigh scales as they are looking at the big commercial trucks. Further, no police officer I know of has ever required a trailer to be weighed paticularly the load range of the axle and both tires are rated at 5000 lbs. However, that can be a lengthy process to change that which will require asking the state he lives in how to take care of that. Personally with over 2 million miles of towing, that never has come up. What I was checked for was the lack of dealer tags and for proper fuel. Got nailed a time or two for no tags. As for the states with no tag requirements, as long as it is being pulled by the owner with the same state liscense tag on the tow vehicle, all states reciprocate respecting other state laws as to trailer tags throughout the country. Personally, I would not be concerned but I told the individual it was his choice to contact his DMV or not as he is more than safe with the 5000 lb load range.

If your current total load range on the current tires is less than 4000 lbs, suggest replacing them immediately.

The other question was accidents. Would the trailer load range if noticed below minimims be questioned in determining any liabilty. Since I use to be an adjuster, I advised liability rests with the actual facts only. If for example the tires were too small or under laod range causing a blow out that caused the trailer to sway and hit another car, yes it would be a factor in determing liabilit. However, if hit broadside by a vehicle that ran either a red light or stop sign, liability would rest that car, not your boat and trailer.

PLEASE INSPECT THE LOAD RANGE OF THE TRAILER TIRES TOGETHER. iNSPECT THE AXLE AS WELL.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Dave-
My 1998 240 trailer was made by Hunter Marine, not Magic Tilt. I have attached a photo of the weight rating plate. Looks like a 3500 lb axle. The boat plus trailer is very close if not exceeding this rating. I am currently running ST205/75R14 load range D tires, 2040 lbs at 65 psi each.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hunter still carried over into the 240 building a few trailers but did switch to Magic Tilt. Not sure when. @caverun, thank you for responding. Good call to those who own Hunter 240's with trailer to check. This may be the one which I had a cow with Hunter on a trailer due to weight limits. I yelled at the President, not the owner who was nearby telling him about the issue. Issue was resolved very quickly. I thanked Warren Luhrs.

May 31, 2004
-Hunter 23.5 Sandusky, OH
We own a 23.5, which I believe is basically the same boat, maybe a bit heavier. We just replaced the original trailer, which had only a 3,000lb axle. During it's 22 year life, we had the axle straightened twice. After the first straightening we got into the habit of trailering the boat empty, with almost all gear, including the motor, in the back of the van. The new trailer, built by Loadmaster Trailers, has a 6,000lb axle.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Bobbi Ullinger

Dry weight of boat is 2,000 lbs
Weight varies with additional gear to include motor. The 240 dry weight is 2300 lbs

I have always suggested looking at the VIN plate affixed to the trailer for load weights as well as tires