Hunter 240 Broken Mast Struts

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
We finally got some warm weather this weekend and I went to the lake to check on the boat. All was good but as I was leaving I noticed that the mast struts were laying on the deck along side the hatch. They were both still attached on the deck, one a beam each side of the mast but the tops of each tube was missing its' cap. The tubes were a smaller gauge steel than I had visualized and the thin ends had been welded on. They looked like a can opener had been use to remove them. The store here is looking for replacements but I may just repair them myself. I think that they were designed for compression loads and no thought was given to any force that might try to pull them apart. The shrouds are all tight and in place. This is a head scratch-er. Struts.jpgStrut with missing top.JPGStrut attachemet point with nut and top of strut assembly.jpg

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
I had an issue with our 260 when new - the tang weld to the bolt/rod portion at the top had broken. Dealer took the two parts to local shop that was able to weld stainless.
Undo the nut on the one side and remove the tang/threaded rod, washers etc. push the bolt thru with another bolt that can be secured while the struts are repaired. I believe there is a compression sleeve in the mast to prevent the mast collapsing when the bolt is tightened.
Check with Crazy Dave - I don’t think the struts are intended to be tightened to the point that they are providing any lateral force when the mast is in the raised position - only for stabilizing during the raising and lowering operation. (On our boat the dealer had the struts so tight that a crow bar was required to insert the pin I. The mast plate.) - On the forerunners of the 260 and 240 they used cable stays to stabilize the mast during raising/lowering that were removed once those operations were complete.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Very strange- have never heard of that happening. I guess there is no way they filled with water and froze, popping off the caps?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@patbratton

@twalker H260 is correct. It was designed to replace the guide wires on the 23.5, 19 and 26. Although the manual says never to remove them, they never should be but a little loose. @caverun is correct too.

As for the caps, I thought they should have been welded in as compression tightened will not hold

While off, make sure there is an anti compression tube inside the mast. If the drilled holes are not drilled evenly , I use to correct that by enlarging the holes where the bolts go thru the tabs sometimes using washers too if needed.

The original side supports were not adjustable but Hunter changed that after I was screaming mad during a phone call.

Then you for your responses @twalker H260 and @caverun

Jun 12, 2021
Yesterday I ordered a new pair of struts. They are $529 a pair but I did not want to have the tops welded back on. It is the weak point in the design. I will try plugging the tops of the broken ones with round bar stock. I will drill and tap them to match the stud on the mast fittings. It would almost have to be violent rocking from side to side that was able to break both struts.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@patbratton

Just make sure the main use of the struts are for stabilizing the mast so it will not fall sideways. The struts should be a little loose when up. They should not be tight. It was a balancing act for me to get it right

Jun 12, 2021
Up date on struts. I went to the boat today to take the broken ends of the struts off of the studs on the mast. I noticed that he bolt that goes through the mast was not tight. There was about a half inch movement from side to side. I think that this contributed to breaking the tops off of the struts. The the new assemblies with not ship until May so I will look into having someone TIG weld the old ones back together.
IMG_1546.JPG

Jun 12, 2021
Aristotle Metal Works in Lawrenceville, Georgia has given me a price of $65.00 plus tax for TIG welding the caps back in place on both struts. This does not include new chrome but a brushed finish on the welds. I am anxious to see if the design is any different on the new ones when they ship in May. If things go well I could be sailing this weekend. I will post photos when I have the struts back.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Glad you figured it out. You now have one more thing to check on your annual maintenance list. Just what you were hoping for, right? ;)

Jun 12, 2021
Aristotle Metal Works called yesterday afternoon and said that my struts were ready. I paid them $70.00 this morning and could not be more pleased. I think that they are better than new. Time will tell.
IMG_1551.JPGIMG_1552.JPG

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
I've got very similar struts on my 99 h410. I had a bolt I didn't replace during standing rigging replacement break during a 3+ week pacific crossing. (At mast conection/different from your mount) I do believe there is more stress on the struts than one would think, especialy when pounding windward.
Your fix looks great and yes, I would make sure everything is tight.

Sep 29, 2008
hunter 240 Dewey beach, De
Hhhhmmmnnn, gonna check mine out a little closer. I know that mine have maybe 1/8th inch play room when up. The nylon lock nuts on them helps preventing over tightning.
About 10 years ago my forstay broke, marina manger called me to ask why my mast was down. Thank god for those struts, not much damage was done.