Hunter 235 Broken Mast Foot

Dec 26, 2019
Hunter 235 Bradenton, FL
While lowering the mast on my 235 a large gust of wind blew the mast sideways and I was not able to catch it with the main rig. Yes, I did not have the temporary side stays connected as I know I should. As such, the mast tore loose of the foot losing the rivets and a piece of the mast. I can replace the foot (one rivet tore through the hole in the foot) but I am wondering...is it possible to cut 1 -2 inches off the bottom of the mast and re-attach the foot. I can also replace the reinforcing plate on the mast and ultimately relocate the hole for the mast raising system. I realize that this would require an adjustment to the standing rigging to make up the lower mast position. Don't know if there would be enough adjustment in the existing rigging to accommodate. Would it be possible and/or easier to look at adding an additional extension to the base of the mast connection to make up the 1-2 inch cut to the mast. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
look at post "mast rivit holes sheared" from about 5months ago

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Can you take a photo of the mast at the foot. I was instrumental getting the 23.5 built. Send me a private message. I need to call someone. Is the mast Z Spar

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Cut the bottom off of the mast and place a piece of starboard or other HDPE product under the mast step that is the same thickness as what you cut off the mast. This will keep your standing rigging etc at the correct length

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Please post one more photo of the bottom portion of the mast. I need to see if any cracks in it or stressed. Thanks

Dec 26, 2019
Hunter 235 Bradenton, FL
I don't have a picture of the mast and I am away from the boat for a while. Other than the tear, there was not any other cracks or stress lines.

Jan 19, 2010
A few years ago I dropped the mast on my H26. Similar damage. I also had the same foot as you. I got a new one from this site’s store. It was not that expensive

Dec 26, 2019
Hunter 235 Bradenton, FL
Assuming that insertion of the spacer would require longer bolts. would Stainless Steel be appropriate? Any surprises waiting in the removal of mast step? Thanks.

Jan 19, 2010
My mast foot did not tear loose from the deck but it did tear loose from the mast. I was able to drill new holes for the rivets so I did not have to put a spacer in.
Most of the deck hardware on these boats are secured using threaded bolts that screw into a threaded aluminum plate that is glasses into the deck. I’m thinking you would simply need a bolt of the same thread count that is longer by the width of your board.

Jul 24, 2012
Hunter 240 Muskegon
I had mine welded. I bought it used and was damaged when I got it. The bottom of my mast is 2 layered (2004 H240) so maybe an improvement for 2004 that Dave can confirm. You could do the same. They sell a section at the store. Ok back to welding, I had different damage as you can see in the pic it was around the mast raising pole hole. It’s super strong now with it welded. C19128B1-D558-4483-B4ED-24BAD7DBEA7F.jpeg9743C2CE-ECE1-4184-A4D8-BE5FC3592BC9.jpegE893CC32-D3D2-4E46-8A5A-2BC54EDCBE8D.jpegC19128B1-D558-4483-B4ED-24BAD7DBEA7F.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 25.5 SYR
Watching this thread and your dilemma closely because I have a similar situation. Mine is 1984 Hunter 25.5 and I had the mast fall prior to the fall stepping-down. Three screws hold the foot to the mast, they all sheared off. The foot stayed attached to the deck. Where one of the screws went through, the mast is bent out slightly. I filed an accident report with insurance company because there was some damages done to an adjacent boat.
My Hood furler bent 90-degrees, too.
Good luck.

Attachments

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Recently dealt with the same problem but after a season of sailing the solution worked perfectly.

Measure how much you’ll need to take off the mast to get into fresh material that you can work with. Once you have that spot, use a stainless hose clamp as a guide for a hacksaw blade. Take your time and make sure you’re cutting square here. Then put a spacer under your mast step that has a matching thickness to the material you removed from the mast. Put it all back together and you’re all set, no need to replace standing rigging since your mast height didn’t change.

609DCCEF-FC87-4A19-BDD1-4D749C30A8C0.jpeg

8CD1C014-4484-4D7E-8FF5-85FD0B288D98.jpeg

BD1344C3-E4E1-4738-A7CB-7BF82FC48BDB.jpeg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Before jumping the gun can we see the damage to the mast. Although good ideas to repair but it would be better to see the actual damage Please post a photo.

Couple of notes. First if welding aluminum, make sure the welder has that experience with aluminum as it is different with steel.
Also you can buy additional mast plates to put on for reinforcing the mast for a new hole to insert the mast raising pole. I do not think there is an inside sleeve for that mast

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with the owner last night. He has new parts. First he was advised decision on repair is his responsibility as I will not be liable.

He is going to remove reinforcement plate and cut off appx 2 inches of the mast. He will fabricate a new reinforcement plate that will be wider but fit so it will not interfere with raising and lowering. The length will remain on the new plate as it came. Concern was the hole in mast too far down and structural issues. He will either pop rivit or weld new plate. If welding get a certified welder in aluminum. Then using the original reinforcement plate to pot rivit that in place so there is a three wall section there and drill new mast raise pole hole in mast. He was informed the hole should be high enough to clear the old hole He will ad extra pop rivits.