Hunter 23 worth salvaging?

Mar 1, 2024
Hunter 23 Chesapeake Bay
12 to 15 yrs ago I owned a Hunter 23. It was great and I regret selling it. Recently I found another that is in really bad shape. Its basically a pot for plants. The fellow is offering it for free but I wonder if its too far gone. My main worry is structural integrity. The two bulkheads are rotted out but if I replace those with marine plywood what else do i need to worry about to make it worthy enough for the Chesapeake Bay on a good day(no strong winds). It has all the main components, mast, boom, rudder, etc. but no sails and no outboard. I'll replace all standing and running rigging, winches. Trailer will get new axle hubs and tires. That keel needs a bit of work. That's a lot of money and time. Is it worth it or is this a parts boat? Any advice is welcome especially in determining hull integrity if there is any left, thanks. I did my best with the pictures.

20240215_162247.jpg
20240215_162354.jpg
20240215_162414.jpg
20240215_162133.jpg

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Looks like a lot of work for a three- or four-thousand-dollar boat.

If doing the work would be "fun" for you it looks to be a very enjoyable boat. If the work is to be a chore in order to enjoy sailing keep looking.

Maybe worth grabbing for the trailer looks like that is where the value is right now.

Perhaps the largest issue is there a title to be transferred for the boat and trailer?
How big a pain in the butt is that in your county to resolve? I lived in York county at one time and they were known to be sticklers.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't think it is worth the time, effort, or money you'd have to put into it when you can buy one ready to sail now!
If it turns out you can't finish the project for some reason, you will be stuck either trying to give it away or paying to dispose of it, and that's NOT cheap.

Mar 1, 2024
Hunter 23 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks for the responses! Title wouldn't be an issue. I think this boat should be listed in the classifieds on this site as a parts boat, if anyone needs a h23 mast or trailer. I will ask the owner if i can. It might help out someone. Did I mention I regret selling my h23.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The most expensive boat you can buy is a free boat. There is probably very little coring to worry about and the running and standing rigging will be less expensive than on a much bigger boat. Once concern is the hatch for the cockpit locker, that would be very difficult to replace.

If you want a boat to build your boat repair skills on, this might be a good boat for doing that. If you really liked sailing the boat after rehabbing it, that would be a plus.

In pure money terms trying part it out, recycling the aluminum and other recyclable parts and selling the trailer would probably yield a small profit. Rehabbing the boat and then selling it would be a break-even deal at best, but a good experience if you have the time and money to invest. Cosmetically, the hull looks like it has potential given some quality time with a buffer.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Buying new rigging, sails, and a motor for a "free" boat that needs a summer's worth of work before you can launch it sounds much more expensive than finding a used one in working order that already has all it needs to go sailing.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Looking at the pictures is making me queasy. And what is the condition of the deck coring? Nope...can't get excited about this one at all.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You have been given some good advice and suggest walking away. I personally would not want that boat. I was Hunter’s largest trailerable dealer for many years and top selling dealer for the 23 wing keel

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Looks like a lot of work for a three- or four-thousand-dollar boat.

If doing the work would be "fun" for you it looks to be a very enjoyable boat. If the work is to be a chore in order to enjoy sailing keep looking.

Maybe worth grabbing for the trailer looks like that is where the value is right now.

Perhaps the largest issue is there a title to be transferred for the boat and trailer?
How big a pain in the butt is that in your county to resolve? I lived in York county at one time and they were known to be sticklers.
:plus:

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There are few parts on that boat that are still good. The trailer and a few parts are the only thing worth salvaging. There's probably some respiratory risks involved with refurbishing this boat