Hunter 23 teak slats on seats

Mar 25, 2024
Hunter 23 Eugene
Hi! We just bought a 1986 Hunter 23 and I am curious as to why there are wooden slats on the cockpit benches.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I sailed on a boat with those and after a few hours decided that the builder hated men.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
No informed idea, but I assume they are handholds to help pull up from the lee side when heeled. But they aren't that strong, one of mine broke and others pulled out the screws. Also maybe decorative.

Apr 11, 2023
Hunter 23 Lake Michigan
We replaced ours with new thicker teak sealed with Epiphanes and replaced the screws with thru bolts - the screws were seriously dumb! They are super solid now and we use them in high seas as handrails to get in and out of the cabin/companionway. I thought they might be foot straps for sitting high side when heeled but they aren't great for that.

we actually replaced all the rails on our h23 with way thicker teak. Our cabin top rails were like 1/4 inch thick and broken. I think the new thickness was 3/4" or 1" and it feels so much more solid.

Mar 25, 2024
Hunter 23 Eugene
Replacing with larger ones sound good, even up top. Thank you for your reply, I do see how they can be practical in getting in and out of the companion way.

Apr 11, 2023
Hunter 23 Lake Michigan
daydreamerh23, hope it helps! One thing I just remembered was that when we replaced the top rails, I found they were screwed into wood that is embedded beneath the fiberglass. it seemed like a recipe for rot... so as a belt and suspenders approach I drilled a larger hole and filled up with epoxy before pre-drilling and mounting the screws again (just didnt want to through bolt through all that wood). I used some 3m 4200 to seal them.