Hunter 23 Keel Cracks...?

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
Moving forward with putting this Hunter 23 back together and found some cracks along the keel/hull joint area. I know some boats it's just a maintenance thing and I'm curious if anyone has experience and input for this issue. Also, pretty major rust, which we plan to just grind out and fill with epoxy. Thanks in advance!
Steve

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Your repair plan looks sound. You might find the Sail Magazine article entitled "Ask SAIL: A Crack in the Keel" and Cruisers Forum thread about a Hunter 33.5 with several cracks in the keel helpful.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Get yourself a needle scaler. Air operated tool that removes rust. Works great for the cast iron keel. Then you can grind and fair where needed. It will be easier and less invasive than all grinding. After down to metal use Ospho metal primer. Then Barrier coat and you will be good.Then bottom paint. As far as the crack that could be a keel bolt issue or just an expansion and contracting thing. Once you have removed all the paint you will be able to tell much better.

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
Thanks for all the direction. Years of automotive experience and never even heard of a "needle scaler." That thing looks awesome! I don't think my compressor can keep up (needs 10CFM @ 90psi), but we'll see.... I've been wanting to try hooking up two compressors. ;-) The keel bolts certainly look fine inside the boat and there's no discernible movement of the keel. Dave, I'm happy to PM you, but I suspect others may benefit from any experience and info you're willing to share. Thanks again!
STeve

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Thanks for all the direction. Years of automotive experience and never even heard of a "needle scaler." That thing looks awesome! I don't think my compressor can keep up (needs 10CFM @ 90psi), but we'll see.... I've been wanting to try hooking up two compressors. ;-) The keel bolts certainly look fine inside the boat and there's no discernible movement of the keel. Dave, I'm happy to PM you, but I suspect others may benefit from any experience and info you're willing to share. Thanks again!
STeve
Nice another Mechanic. I'm a Diesel mechanic. Guess we see a lot more rust and welding. I ran the cheap harbor freight Needle Scaler off of my 5hp 30 gal compressor. It did mostly ok and on the thick harder parts I just had to pause for some more air. I have hooked 2 compressors together for running a DA connected by a "Y" at the outlet and a glass water separator. It worked well.

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
Yeah, I haven't been employed as a mechanic for many years, but it was my first real line of work and I learned SO much. And yeah, dealt with plenty of rust and caked on crap. Spent years road racing motorcycles as well so plenty of wrench twisting going on. ;-) I'm now a Certified Contractor specializing in Marine Construction; I mostly build docks and I really like what I do. I have a couple twin-tank compressors I use for nail guns that might work OK together and I look forward to finding out! I wonder how that scaler works on barnacles.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Steve, I have arthritis in my hands going nuts right now. I rely on those I talk to reporting back on the forum. Your calll

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
My 23 had similar cracking and etc. I did some minor grinding and repaint, caulked the joint with 4200, torqued the keel bolts on the trailer, and it looked great for years.

It's a pretty small keel w/ light loading all things considered, a pretty slow boat, and I saw it to inspect every time it went in/out of the water, so could never justify a huge keel project.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Boat is home for yearly maintenance and this is the keel to hull joint re-faired and barrier coat going on. I sand and the wifey paints. Think she gets the better end of the deal.

Attachments