Hunter 23 gets a little water around the keel bolts.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Maureen S

Are you saying there was no water in the boat while sitting on the hard or out of the water upon inspection before you purchased the boat? Did the water came in after the boat was put in the water?

much has been written on the issue of water in the Hunter 23 wing keel which can be accessed under archives. Answer the above questions plus looking in the archives, then I will be glad to talk with you only if you will post your findings and results. Former Hunter dealer
Crazy Dave

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Maureen S
Regarding our phone call, you have a Hunter 23 wing keel, 1986 model which is taking on water. You are removing the water which is less found each time which would indicate a topside leak. As a dealer, first I would look at the obvious.
1. Remove the forward triangular shape board in the V Berth to expose the anchor drain, fittings and hose. At that time, I would check the tightness of the bow eye.
2. On the slider hatch, there are two teak pieces that are screwed in place with caulk. The first is the
handle which I suggest that you remove and clean all the old caulk and recaulk. The second is the teak stopper which the slider hatch needs to be removed from the fiberglass slider which takes two people to remove and replace after placing caulk over the entire length of the teak piece. Also recaulk the hinges holding the complete slider secure to the deck.
3. remove the cover plate surrounding the shroud chain plates by removing the four screws, lifting the plate, remove the caulk and recaulk placing the plate cover back. I received your photos of the shroud chain plates and do not recognize the style. @caverun or anyone with a Hunter 23, can you provide a photo of the shroud chain plates here so I can verify what I said. Maureen S sent me photos what she had and do not recall the syle. @Maureen S please provide the hull number.
4. Finally check the cockpit drain near the transom to include fittings and hose. There should be two hose clamps at the barb end securing the hose to each barb. In addition, check the outboard motor bracket that is secured to this reverse transom as well as I recall seeing leaks there to.

Finally, you will want to pressurize the cabin to check or locate any air bubbling out of fittings, rub rail and so forth. this will require one individual to operate a leaf blower and another person to be brushing soapy water onto all fittings looking for bubbling air coming out. You would need to tape up the forward hatch and tape a large piece of plastic over the entire companionway putting a small slit in it to put the leaf blower pipe thru and taping the plastic to that blower tube. One other thing about the forward hatch, is there a gasket glued in place on the deck lip which the foward hatch goes over? If not you need to put a seal on that lip.

AS for the inside cabin floor teak piece,, you can see if there is any teak and holly wood laminate at a nearby marine yard. Another choice is to order it dfrom the forum store as they have the build list of parts for your boat. the forum store is owned by former hunter employee

Any questions, please get back in tough with me.

Crazy DAve

TGKENT

Jul 2, 2023
Hunter 23 Shuswap
I've been reading through this forum - very informative! I recently received a Hunter 23 as a wedding gift that needs a little TLC - I have found a similar problem with a top side leak that ends up running through to the keelbolt holes. I think I have narrowed it down to the anchor locker, but not the hoses or bow eye, the sealant around where the forestay attached to what seems to be a chainstay, two questions - is that chainstay supposed to wiggle? and how can I reseal it? I can't seem to get to the otherside of it to see how its attached and can't find anything online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Taylor

TGKENT

Jul 2, 2023
Hunter 23 Shuswap
Currently located at Shuswap Lake in BC, CAN - though it hasn't been in the water for some time

Last edited: