Hunter 23 cockpit drain hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
A source of rainwater leaks that every H23 owner should check!

Replaced the original leaky 1-1/2" cockpit drain hose on my Hunter 23 today. I decided on using a re-enforced clear heavy vinyl hose and new stainless clamps. You can find this hose at Lowes or most any hardware store.

It looks harder to reach that it actually was. Be sure to secure the hatch lid before you climb inside the locker! Note the tiny washers used to back the rudder gudgeons, guess I'll be upgrading them soon too.

Attachments

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Fly: By the looks of your photo, the hose has already collapsed from the bend. I would suggest that you use a reinforced hose the next time. This only makes a difference if you get really pooped or you get a bunch of crap in the cockpit then it would be very difficult to drain.

Another issues is the deck fitting sometimes leaks where they go thru the deck. These should be recaulked perodically too. This is the same issue on larger boat too. It is not just an issue on the H'23.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I straightened it after that photo to remove the kink and I keep a sink drain in the inlet to catch debris.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
On my 23, the prev owner had a yard guy puncture the original hose while on the trailer, and all the accumulated water in the cockpit (leaves had blocked the drain plate) poured into the bilge. They replaced it with really thick walled black hose, sort of like car radiator hose, and smeared an incredible band of what looks like silicone caulk around the joints and the hose clamps, on both ends. The caulk bead has to be at least an inch thick.

You may want to consider double hose clamps on each end - I wouldn't want to lose the boat should the transom end come loose.

Whomever fooled with the rudder gudgeon mounting used a 2 X 4 as a backing plate, also on the motor mount bolts. Who knows what's custom and what's stock on a boat from 1994.

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
... They replaced it with really thick walled black hose, sort of like car radiator hose ....
Mine was like that from the factory :)

And you can't mention the cockpit drain hose without mentioning that 'other' hose that causes problems! The two most common causes of water in the bilge on these boats.

Cheers,
Brad

Attachments

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Brad,

How true, I also did my anchor locker hose when I replaced the cockpit hose.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Odd - on my H23 (hull year '91) the thru-hull for the cockpit drain is out the transom, right about the waterline. Looks like yours goes straight through the hull.

Sep 24, 2010
Beneteau 321 Edgewater, MD
Odd - on my H23 (hull year '91) the thru-hull for the cockpit drain is out the transom, right about the waterline. Looks like yours goes straight through the hull.
My '87 also goes out the transom.

Interesting.

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
Two different designs

It does go through the hull. Mine is a early 1985 (hull #041) model with a centerboard. The control lines for it are run through a tunnel glassed into the hull, and then up through the hose and out the cockpit scupper to a set of (4:1) blocks. Later models, those without the centerboard, just ran the drain line out the back through the transom.

Cheers,
Brad

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Interesting observation. We had a deluge of rain today here in Ohio and I am happy to report no leaks! Happy time...ding!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23 Tampa Bay
I used reinforced automobile radiator hose with aluminum spring reinforcement. don't skimp here, both of these hoses can fail and will sink your boat quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.