Hunter 23.5 sheave under mast plate for CB line.

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
some time back there was a thread here about replacing (or attempting to replace) the sheaves under the mast plate for the main & jib halyards and the CB control line. The problem is the shafts are embedded below the mast plate. Did anyone ever figure out how to get these out for replacement.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The pins is glued in with 4200. Grab the tip sticking out with one of these and work it a little at a time
2DA06B6B-0EED-4BBB-B62D-396838E154CC.png

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It was 5200 the pin was held fast with at Hunter. @rgranger is telling you correctly how to work it out I think there is a divider between the two sheaves. You can get those parts thru the forum store as they have the build list for your boat.

I introduced your boat

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
Thank you Dave and Rgranger,

Dave, View attachment 192848

You and I messaged a long time ago when I was new to my boat in 2007 (hull year 1997). You'll be happy to know she's still going strong here on KY Lake. Only real damage was de-masting in 2014. In a race, straight downwind, barn door WIDE OPEN, eclipsing 9.5 kts, heading for 10 and a 43 kt. gust blew the stick at the spreaders. An interesting afternoon to say the least. We still took second place.

Anyway, If I choose to replace the CB sheave, I'll have to cut out the old one then pull the pins correct? I'd like to replace with a ball bearing sheave if possible., Although the friction of non BB may slow the drop and prevent damage (your thoughts?). The halyard sheaves were bypassed by blocks attached to the mast baseplate so they're not an issue. I like that setup better.

I'll put in a few pictures after my next outing on her.

Thank you for the response.

Jan 19, 2010
I replaced the spacer in mine and it only lasted a season b4 UV damage made the new one brittle. Been looking for a material that is more suited..

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rob

If you do find any material please advise.

Also advise on companionway slat boards are cut in upward position to deflect water.
Thanks

Jan 19, 2010
Rob

If you do find any material please advise.

Also advise on companionway slat boards are cut in upward position to deflect water.
Thanks
I’ve been thinking of ripping some trex.

I have a piece I’ve left out in the yard now for seven years. Still looks new.

Jan 19, 2010
I've never worked with Evergrain. I googled it... got a couple of micro breweries so it must be good stuff...:ass::laugh:

Sep 29, 2008
hunter 240 Dewey beach, De
I have a 1998 H240. Am in the process of replacing for the third time the sheave as well as the block that the line goes to next. Evidently as Dave would know only problem taking off the mast plate was getting the bolt screws out. I also in the process of replacing the tube the keel line goes through inside as it developed some pin holes in it and was leaking yuck.
Also the plastic fitting that goes through the cabin top was broken.
So I would check out both of those while you have everything apart.
I only use a quality silicone to reseal everything. Good luck.