Hunter 23.5 Roller Furler Pin

Feb 28, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Lake Lewisville
Hi all,

I'm a new 23.5 owner and new to sailing in general. While stepping the mast for the first time and fighting to attach the forestay, we managed to drop the pin that goes in the base of the furler in the water. (Our ramp has power lines over it and requires it done in the slip)

I had another pin that fit, but the more I think about it, the more concerned I become that it is inadequate and may sheer. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what would be the best quality replacement? I've attached an image in the event that I'm describing this poorly.

furler_LI.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
As long as you match the diameter of the clevis, any stainless steel rigging pin should be more than sufficient. For permanent replacement I'd select the minimal length that allows for split ring retainer install just to keep things clean but any length will do in a pinch. I believe CDI uses your original Hunter forestay.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
1/4 inch clevis pin. Measure the distance to allow enough so you can secure the pin from coming out. You have no idea as to my involvement wth the boat as a dealer to include design. Also got Hunter to offer the CDI system as a good friend of mine now deceased used me as a guinea pig.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
When I first got a 23.5, the clevis pin sheared while on a beat and the mast fell between me and my passenger. Just pulled the sail in out of my view, started the iron Jenny, motored back to the marina, found a clevis pin ni a power boat environment, raised the mast and went out to finish my day of sailing. I now keep two extras in my tool box. Once bitten....

Sep 25, 2018
I was too new to sailing my own boat to be terrified. That allowed me to recover without panic. I was at a point in the river where if the engine didn't start I would have been on the rocks. Ignorance is sometimes good. Mostly not.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You can trust the fellow from CDI
Hated that traveler across the cockpit seats. Knee capper as I was a dealer for it too but liked to race on it

Sep 25, 2018
The traveler has left a shin scar from the first sail. Am acutely aware of the traveler since. It’s great while sailing but a literal pain for moving about for sail trim.