Hunter 23.5 pad eye on bottom of boom

Aug 18, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Dania Beach, Florida
There are 3 pad eyes in the groove on the bottom side of my boom. The most forward is for my boom vang. Working aft, the second is for my main sheet. There is a third one that slides in the groove (it’s not affixed). Does anyone know what it is for?

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Hi Bill,

That is probably for the Reef line and it should be affixed a few inches aft of the Reef Clew on your mainsail.

1568836964661.jpeg

You probably don't have (5) REEF LINE BALE on your boom, so you would use (6) 2ND REEF LINE BALE

-Z

Dfed

Jul 19, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Augusta
Z is correct. Different set up on the 23.5, but its for reefing. Owners manual says "Install the reefing line...and lead from the sheave through the upper cringle at the back of the sail then down to the sliding eye on the bottom of the boom."

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
As the others have said, it's for reefing. I don't know why it's free sliding though. It has to be aft of the grommet or you won't get it tight to the boom. For me it kept sliding forward so I tied it temporarily with a line figuring I would rivet it in place when I figured out the right location. That was 12 years ago and my little line is still there holding it in place.

Attachments

MikeyJ

Dec 15, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Carlyle Lake
Mine is attached. But I only have one reef point. Could it be that it slides in case you have two.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Mine is attached. But I only have one reef point. Could it be that it slides in case you have two.
The original OEM Mainsail only had 1 reef so it definitely should have been affixed. In my case, the boat had been dismasted and Previous Owner had installed a brand new boom but never bothered to rivet any of the slides into it.

20190322_153220.jpg

-Z

MikeyJ

Dec 15, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Carlyle Lake
The original OEM Mainsail only had 1 reef so it definitely should have been affixed. In my case, the boat had been dismasted and Previous Owner had installed a brand new boom but never bothered to rivet any of the slides into it.

View attachment 169918

-Z
Anyone have a link on where I can buy these pad eyes (Boom Bails). I searched and couldn't find them anywhere. Thanks

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Thanks. Kinda pricey. Any after market locations?
Any custom sized boom fitting will be pricey. Most major modern spar manufacturers sell a similar fitting custom sized to fit their various booms. The trick is to find one that fits the groove. It doesn’t necessarily need to be an articulation bale. It could be stationary.

Remember also, that you will have to remove the end cap on the boom to install a slider.

If you don’t want to spend the money for s sliding eyestrap, consider adapting an ordinary forged stainless steel eyestrap that will fit inside the groove on the underside of the boom. You’ll need a rather large one to accommodate the reefing line diameter. Get one that has well rounded edges that will not chafe the rope. Install it using a rivet (I’d use an AL rivet for this, not Stainless)or a machine screw, and be sure to use a galvanic isolator such as Tefgel.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If the only reason you want the bail is to attache a reef line, you can simply rivet a $5 ss eye strap to the side of your boom. You don't need to use the fancy slide and I think having it under the boom does not really make a lot of sense for a reef line.

Rivet this to the side of the boom and tie your line...

1569352117649.png

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sorry for so many post in a row but I thought to look at the SBO store.... they have a large selection of eye straps