Hunter 23.5 Mast Raising with Roller Furling

Aug 9, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Gresham, OR
Hi All, I'm totally new to this forum and just purchased a '93 Hunter 23.5. The boat is in good shape, but the previous owner removed all the lines for cleaning and I need to identify them and get everything back into place, which I am working on. It was missing one of the mast raising bridle wires, so I had to order a replacement which I should have soon.

I've read many forum posts about mast raising, including the hunter manual. My boat came with a roller furling system from which I understand was originally an option. The jib halyard appears to be integrated into the top of the furling gear, so I don't think it can be used as the halyard to raise the mast. I've read in some of the posts that boats with the furling system came with a separate mast raising line. Is this true and if so, can someone help identify the type of line, length and where the line needs to be attached on the the mast?

I've sailed in the past but is this my first experience rigging a boat and raising the mast and would sure appreciate any help that one would provide, or even a photo or two would sure be helpful. I attached a few photos of the furling system with what appears to be the halyard coming out of the top near the blue tarp.

Thank you in advance for the help and support and I look forward to participating as we get up to speed with our new boat.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on yoiur new sailboat!!

Too bad the previous owner removed all the lines. If you are interested in matching up the lines to their function refer to page 54 for line diamters and lengths: Hunter_23.5_50853939.pdf (sailboatowners.com). Good luck with your new sailboat, let the forum know how the rigging went and feel free to post questions.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I believe that's a CDI furler, which happens to have its own internal halyard. I'm assuming that the previous owner removed all the running rigging from the mast. Hopefully they fed messenger lines you can use to pull new rigging. If it were me, I'd run a jib halyard through the mast, coming out the sheave on the front of the mast. Then use that to raise the mast, and since it's not needed for the sail, tie it off to the mast once it's up.

• Helpful
Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
The procedure uses the in-mast jib halyard to raise and lower the mast, not the halyard that is in the furler.

The in-mast jib halyard is generally never used for anything else if a CDI furler is installed.

Get an owners manual, if you don’t already have one, because it describes this very well-designed procedure very well.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Furling system is an FF2 system by Cruising Design or CDI with it’s own internal halyard as @isaksp00 pointed out. Thank you sir

The normal jib halyard was solid red and the main halyard a solid blue line. Do you know how old the lines are? Check the ss rigging for any breaks. Check the turnbuckles for any room for adjustment and the studs if straight

You can find the owners manual by going to boat information/Hunter resources/23.5/Downloads. It is worth reading the material as @sail sfbay pointed out. Thank you sir

The forum store has a complete list of parts for your boat as they have a copy of the build list
Crazy Dave Condon

Nov 1, 2014
H23.5 H23.5 Bradenton fl
I have the same CDI furl system . It’s a little bit of a hassle while raising the mast since it wanders all over the place while your raising the mast , but after that it’s a joy for all the advantages over a hank on , single handling is the main one !!! Cover the drum with a insulated bag , the drum will drag across the deck and hatch scratch up things . I’m thinking about getting a adjustable turn buckle snap over lock for the forstay/ furler !! Keep the gin pole 10 degrees + in the direction aft of the mast , lot of pressure exerted in the bottom of the gin pole at the opening on the mast !! Question, I have the H23.5 trailer . Does anyone have the H240 trailer , which has a front single roller mounted ,supporting the bottom of the bow ??? Pictures of it would be greatly appreciated !!!

Aug 9, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Gresham, OR
I want to thank you all for the great information. The type of furler was really helpful as it enabled me to see instructions and better understand it. I think with this info I can figure it out. I've read through manual many times and it doesn't seem to have any information on the optional furling system which is why I was confused.

Unfortunately, they pulled the lines completely out and I don't see messenger lines, so I'm sure that will be a challenge! I'm working on it a little bit each day to get it ready and I'll certainly post with any additional questions.

Thanks again for the info : )

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When raising the mast, a cushioned sock over the furling drum is recommended. I would tell my customers to secure the furler to the mast with a plastic bungee. When inserting the mast raising pole, raise it till the bottom of the pole touches the top part of the hole in the mast only. Never pull or push the pole as it will collapse under pressure. Make sure all lines and standing rigging are clear during raising. Make sure shroud turnbuckles are not catching on the shroud chain plates during raising and lowering the mast. When loosening the mainsheet attached to the u bolt in the anchor well while under pressure, use your shoe to loosen the mainsheet or your hand and finger can be seriously injured. If on the
19, 23.5 and 26, if the bridle wires are loose, you can tighten the pelican hooks as long the the mast can rotate freely particularly when the mast is up. Make sure boat is pointed into the wind during mast raising

Look under hunter 26 or 260 for suggested mast raising which I wrote. I designed the mast raise system

Jun 28, 2020
Hunter 240 Saefern Dock
The procedure uses the in-mast jib halyard to raise and lower the mast, not the halyard that is in the furler.

The in-mast jib halyard is generally never used for anything else if a CDI furler is installed.

Get an owners manual, if you don’t already have one, because it describes this very well-designed procedure very well.
I use the jib halyard to raise and lower flags.