Hunter 23.5 forestay/pulpit damage

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
@Crazy Dave Condon

I removed the bulkhead and found the void is not full of foam, and there are no nuts on the horizontal bolts of the chain plate. It's kind of ugly under there, I'm not sure what to make of that white stuff and wonder if it's original. On the outside there are just cracks, no big gaps like what appears on the inside.
20200728_161543.jpg
20200728_161555.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hooray. Thank you young man. I told you there is nothing to worry about.

The two stainless bolts. That are those protruding through through the fiberglass with an encapsulated piece of aluminum in that fiberglass which was drilled and tapped. Simply unscrew out but would not be surprised if 5200 was used as a sealant.

The gap is the hull to deck joint with the white stuff called 5200. The wires go to the bow light.

Does this help to explain young man.

Jun 2, 2004
Thanks Dave. It sounds like based on all the photos, you're fairly confident that damage to the structure is not serious.

Current plan is to have it in the shop on Tuesday for the quote. Then I'll bring it back to the lake and either put the mast back up or not depending on if he agrees that it's safe, and have the repair done at the end of the season, which tragically could be in about six weeks. And this damaged happened on the first day the boat was in the water...

By the way, at 66 it's been a while since I've been called "young man" LOL!

MikeyJ

Dec 15, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Carlyle Lake
Jun 2, 2004
curious how hard it was to remove the bulkhead.
Very easy. It's held in place by 4 Phillips screws that came out easily. It was caulked top and bottom. I sliced through the bottom caulking with a blade, and when I pulled on the bottom of the board the top bead of caulking just tore away cleanly from the fiberglass. The sides weren't attached as the carpet goes a little bit beyond that piece of plywood bulkhead.

Before I opened it up, I poked a straightened out coat hanger through the gap on the side between the board and the carpet to see if the void was full of foam. As Crazy Dave had said, it is not.