hunter 22 swing keel

jeffjk

May 5, 2021
hunter hunter 22 potters marine
lost the keel in the pamlico on sunday, heard a bang and it was gone. the keel which is available on this site is not quite the same. Does anyone have a hunter 22 swing keel? Has anyone fitted the design as shown on this site to a 1981 hunter 22?
we are not very experienced sailors, just bought this and have used it several times a year over 3 seasons. Had one introductory lesson at a school in Oriental.
We hit something where we had sailed before. Quickly pulled the sail down, the rudder was up, put that down and started the outboard and got back to the ramp and pulled it out. We still have the weight and swivel end. The rest has gone. Does anyone know where we can have a new one made if the modified version will not fit?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I am confused. You say you still have the ballast but the keel is gone. But the keel is the ballast. I would think that if you lost your keel, you would have capsized. What am I missunderstanding?

jeffjk

May 5, 2021
the main part of the swing keel snapped off. what remained is the counterbalance weight and the swivel pin

Jan 19, 2010
bummer. I suspect that the only cost effective way would be to find a hunter 22 that is being parted out and or buy one that is in bad shape and then take the best parts of the two and make one nice boat.

Jan 19, 2010

jeffjk

May 5, 2021
rooke sails referred me to foss foam in florida
looks like my problem will be solved with a brand new keel made to order

Jan 19, 2010
Wow! That is a way better outcome than what I was expecting for you.:beer:

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ask for bob walker at foss foam. Doubt they made it. I believe it was cast by Mars Metals in Canada for Hunter. A new one is expensive. I would suggest looking for an inexpensive H 22 or for one that is damaged. Doubt the H 23 swing keel and H 22 keels would work. You could call Mars Metals in Canada or ask that question from this forum’s help line. Help line are former Hunter employees. Former Hunter dealer in North Carolina. As for the pamlico sound, it is shallow and suggest sailing within the main body. Example coming out from the ICW GOING south to Oriental stay to the left of the channel markers

Last edited:

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
JeffJK,
I replaced my 1981 H22 salvage boat's swing keel a couple of years ago with one made by Foss Foam in Florida.

See this thread for more details:

There is a bunch of discussion in that thread, but look at entries below for starters:
#65, 69, 70, 79, 93 and 97

Charlie

Last edited:
  • Helpful
May 30, 2021
Hunter 22 Lake Hefner
JeffJK,
Did you have any luck with finding a keel or having one made? I just had the same thing happen today.

Jan 19, 2010
JeffJK,
Did you have any luck with finding a keel or having one made? I just had the same thing happen today.
Yes he did... he mentions where he got one made earlier in this thread