Hunter 22 (1981) kickup rudder question

Jan 29, 2007
Hunter 22 Pelham Manor, NY (1981 H22)
Hello All, I have a 1981 Hunter 22 and I can't figure out how to rig it. There's obviously a downhaul to a pad eye on the glass rudder and a block and sheave and cam cleat up at the top on the aluminum part. But I can't figure out how to rig it in such a way that it will kick up if I run aground, without damaging the mechanism. If I take the downhaul line out of the cam cleat the rudder is just going to pop up all the time and it won't stay down. If I keep the line in the cam cleat, then the rudder can't kick up without breaking something..... what am I missing? Diagram, photo, video, or verbal description appreciated!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure about your rig.
When I sailed my 15 ft trailer sailboat, I used a bungee to hold the rudder down. I had a line to haul it up. The weight of the rudder and the bungee held it down. When I pulled it up the attached bungee went through an arc so as I pulled the rudder up the bungee got tighter and tighter. When fully up the bungee was less tight but still pulled with enough tension to hold the rudder up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The old and new 22’s are listed but no information on the rudder configuration as that was before my time. Suggest you contact people who contributed to your boat under owner modifications and manuals. That would be my suggestion thru the forum email or private messsage

Aug 1, 2009
Hunter 23.5 Various
IDK about your boat but I have a 95 Hunter 23.5. There is a layer of rubber sheet on the inside surfaces of the aluminum plates on each side of the glass rudder. The pivot bolt has a big wingnut that is tightened after you pull the downhaul to swing the rudder all the way down. It is only the friction of the rubber on the sides of the glass rudder that keeps it down. I did read somewhere a caution to not secure the downhaul while underway just in case you ground it and damage things, as you have already figured out.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
@newsailor130 ,
See my comments on this topic in your other "Smaller Boats" forum similar posting / thread:

Slán go fóill, and

Auf Wiedersehen, bis später.