Hunter 216 rig tension and masthole update

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
  1. The following is a 2008 conversation about this topic and I thought I would provide an update due to the “new” Loos gauge now being a PT-1 model that has a different scale. This model of gauge comes with a conversion chart that converts the Model A numbers to the new PT-1 scale. If you are using the PT-1 model the scale should read 25 for the uppers, the lowers don’t really have an accurate number as the conversion chart doesn’t have values that match the numbers below. Other forum posts suggest only hand tighten the lowers and when I did that after I had the uppers at 25 my PT-1 gauge read 14.

The odd point here is the question of which mast base hole to use. The user manual and many forum users say to use the rearmost hole, however in Glen Henderson’s post he clearly says to use the middle hole. On my 2004 boat with the rig tensioned properly, the pin in the aft most hole there and the Hunter wedge in place there is a 1 1/2 gap between the front of the mast and the curve of the cabin top cutout.

—————-ORIGINAL POST BELOW THIS LINE ——————-

While I know this has been discussed in the archives --- spent quite a bit of time there today with a bit of luck but still lacking in info --- I would like to know what most H216 owners are doing with regard to the following quesions:The 2004 instruction manual I have for my H216 states the mast base should be bolted in the first hole of the mast base plate (i.e. the first hole one encounters as he approaches the mast base plate going into the cuddy cabin). However in the archives, I find that some are using the second hole after the first and I even found an e-mail from Glen Henderson that indicated as much. Which hole do you think is correct?My second question concerns the specified tension for the upper and lower shrouds attached to the mast of the H216 based on a Loos gauge type measurement? Does anyone have this info?Any assitance on these questions would be apppreciated.Thanks,Lamar

May 7, 2008Report
    Forum Menu

2. upload_2018-10-9_6-51-47.png
    Rock Smith
    Joined May 10, 2008
    1 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 216
    US Hudson on the St Croix
    Try this

Lind BayreutherCustomerService@huntercomposite.com860-739-3033The designer flew out and examined the damage then specified the parameters for rig tuning when flying the spinnaker, that is, 325# outer shroud tension, minimal inner shroud tension, and no mast rake. Before the designer released any spinnakers to the general buying audience (I believe I got the first one), the designer took his H216 out off the Florida coast looking for the roughest weather he could find and tested the rig setup personally. Because of my early delivery of the spinnaker, I have talked to Glen directly and got the rig parameters from him...later verified by Hunter. Here is what Lind e-mailed me. Upper shrouds are 34 and lower are 15 on Loos model A #91. Wire is 5/32 diameter. These are minimums. Would have to adjust for wind strength.Some other suggestions were to sight up the mast track to make sure that you were straight from port to starboard. Adjust each shroud by 4 turns and then go to opposite side and do same to achieve proper tension. Rotate between upper and lower shrouds.From: Glenn HendersonSent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 9:56 AMTo: Eddie Breeden; Lind Bayreuther; Cutter Smith; Clint Rand; Steve PettengillSubject: 216 Rigging settingsHere are set-up numbers for 216. These would be minimum tensions.Using Loos Tension Guage/ Model "A"/ Part #91V1- 34 on top scale- converts to 240 lbs/109 kg on the conversion scale for 5/32D1- 15 on top scale- does not go high enough to convert on conversion scale.The mast base is set in the middle hole.Headstay is 22'08" / 6.907 m from centerline of pins==========http://archives.sailboatowners.com/...5295163413.52&id=362844&ptl=#2005303160257.17

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
BD713388-CA59-4603-A5E3-2DE77CFF2933.jpeg
This is the Loos gauge Model A -PT-1 conversion chart and the gap in front of the mast when pin is in the most aft hole.

F63148B2-7F1E-487F-8AB2-9EEDC2D5F216.jpeg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There use to be a foam block provided for the space between mast and forward lip of companion way.
Although I knew Henderson and others, Eddie along with others asked me about the use of the Loos Guage and I cautioned against it due to construction of the boat and the over tuning being too tight. I suggested thru feel and test sail would achieve best results. Some who were use to the smalller boats concurred again going back to the construction

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Dave
As always; again thanks for your experienced input. Over tension or for that matter under tension can be detrimental so your right in that dependence on a machine vs experienced assessment usually causes trouble. The Loos gauge after all is based on a spring so might not be “totally” accurate or consistent from one gauge to another anyway.

I find it useful if for no other reason than to know that when I’m done tuning the tension on opposite stays are equal.

What was the purpose of the piece of foam in front of the mast?

Can you settle the aft hole VS second most aft hole question once and for all?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I would suggest aft hole as one reason the mast would hit that lip I mentioned and another said it helped with rake? Also I have seen too much tensioning using that Guage being over tightened and with the ACP boats I do have concern