Hunter 216 PHRF Racing

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
There hasn't been a lot posted here about the Hunter 216 PHRF racing so I figured I'd start a new thread. Got my PHRF certificate today: 210 spinnaker, 226 non-spinnaker. The spinnaker rating is for the conventional sprit flown fractional asymmetrical spinnaker. I'll be racing non-spinnaker class for a bit to figure out the boat, then I'll have to get my spinnaker rating re-done to account for my masthead symmetrical spinnaker from a Catalina 25 and running backstays. I assume my rating will get cut to somewhere around 200. Any less and I think it will be a real challenge. We have lots of J/22's around here so I'm waiting to see how I'll stack up against one. My prediction is they will be better upwind and I'll be better downwind. Probably don't stand a chance against anyone in any kind of chop.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Good times!

A well sailed J22 will simply crush you upwind.

Downwind, with the turbo kite... in breeze, if you can keep it all together, it will be interesting. The trick is you'll have to plane in breeze. The j22s do.

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
Update: my PHRF has been changed from 226 to 244 rating with no spinnaker. I've been out day sailing a number of times this season, but no racing yet. This weekend I'll be sailing in two regattas with the 216 in the non-spinnaker division. I'll post a full write up next week. In my day sailing trips I've taken so far, I've been happy with my pointing ability and upwind performance, but we'll see how it compares to other boats on race day. The closest boat to me will be a ranger 22 sailing non spinnaker which rates 242 so during the race I'll gage how I'm doing off of them. My early prediction is they will be faster upwind with their 150% genoa, but I'll be faster downwind. The wind this weekend is medium-light and coming from the north west meaning it should be flat water!

I'll be traveling the rest of the month, but in August the boat comes out and the keel pin gets replaced and the spinnaker hardware gets mounted! Mid august is the next major regatta where there should be a few J/22's to sail against.

Attachments