Hunter 216 Loose Forestay

Jul 21, 2021
Hunter 216 Onekama
I'd really appreciate some further opinion here.

I purchased a roller furling drum and swivel. I bought the Harken equipment sufficient for a 5mm cable, which is what I believe the forestay is.

I also had to purchase the pigtail cable.

I have installed it exactly according to the diagram in the manual, and have sailed it. It's working OK, but it seems to me like there is perhaps too much play in the forestay.

I have seen posts about it being difficult to attach the forestay (people who pull it with their trailer winch to get it close enough). For me, it was easy to attach the forestay to the furler drum.

The jib luffs from the forestay, which is odd to me, but perhaps that's because I'm used to smaller boats. When the jib is not full, the forestay doesn't seem to providing any support to the mast.

Is it possible that the parts I purchased are too long? The swivel is about four inches. The drum seems to be the right size. Should the forestay be tighter?

Thanks very much for anyone's help on this.

Sep 11, 2020
Hunter 216 Victoria
I have a 216 with the stock furling jib setup. It is easy for me to install the forestay if I loosen the shrouds off enough. I then tighten the lower shrouds and then the upper shrouds which adds the rake. My forestay doesn't have much sag. You can notice a bit of sag if I furl and then pull both sheets in tight to lock it in.
I think all the stock rigging lengths are in the manual.

Sep 11, 2020
Hunter 216 Victoria
I haven't been able to measure since my boat is in the water until fall. I will confirm for you then.

Jul 21, 2021
Hunter 216 Onekama
I bought this swivel:

1629997294652.png

I'm starting to think I should have bought the one below. They appear to be roughly the same size, but the one I bought has the shackel which seems to add an additional inch.

1629997202690.png

Sep 11, 2020
Hunter 216 Victoria
This is the best photo I could get. I will get a closeup soon once I unstep the mast.
20210903_090453.jpg