Hunter 216 keel cable off the pulley...

Apr 27, 2021
hunter 216 trailer
Working on the new to me 216 and need to get the cable back into the pulley.... Anyone have experience with this? Is there an easy trick? before I end up taking apart the whole thing? There doesn’t seem to be enough space between the pulley and the frame, and it doesn’t seem easy to pull the pulley shaft, looks like I would need to lift the whole frame...

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I wonder if you could get at that with a large flat headed scredriver and a mallet. Come at it from the outside and tap it back into the groove. Also, I see a lot of meat hooks on your cable. Probs should think of changing it at the end of the season.

R

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Definitely a job you want to do before you launch, not on the way back into the trailer after a day's sail and you NEED to get the keel up. Agree with @rgranger that some "motivation" like a hammer with a blunt-edged driver may do the trick.

BTW: do some research on that hydraulic ram as they need re-building every ten years, or so (send it back to the factory to get it done right). Sitting in the horizontal position, they bleed past their seals, so you want to make sure that it's stored slightly upright so you don't get hydraulic lock.

Apr 27, 2021
hunter 216 trailer
Thanks guys, I’ll try and “persuade” it back over the lip of the pulley.
I saw the Frey on the cable and it’s on the list... but want to get the boat in the water and sailing then tackle this list of additional things.

When it comes time to replace the cable, what is the procedure to doing so??

@Parsons thanks for the tip on the integral , I have actually taken it out and have been able to replace some parts and refill with oil and working again thanks to Kevin at Sailtec for the knowledge and parts.
Next up fixing some of the cracks, locating or building a mast crutch and off for a first sail

By the way do either of you have an extra mast crutch or would you be able to measure the length of yours so I can whip one up.
I saw it for sale in the store on the site, just can’t spend $300 on it
Thanks
Karl

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Sold the boat - so no chance for a measurement. Are you talking about the aluminum support at the back that fits in the square hole in front of the motor, or the middle mast support that goes down to the keel step in the 'cabin'? For the middle one, it's about 4 feet long, but I suggest measuring from the mast laid down to the keel step and adding a couple inches. I rigged mine so I could secure it to both the step and the mast on either end with bungees for trailering.

There are several 216 owners on this site, including the aptly named @Hunter216 . Replacing the cable is easy on the trailer as it's just a couple of shackles securing it to the ram and top of the keel - getting down into the keel box is a challenge.

Apr 27, 2021
hunter 216 trailer
The aluminum one at the back... the one in the middle I was just going to make out of wood. But the back one I think would be handy with the roller and the hook... not to mention the convenient mounting into the motor support.

May 23, 2021
Hunter 216 Point Bay Marina
Re: Douglas 216 centerboard cable
I was in the same boat last summer. I had to lift from the boat the centerboard and frame to gain access to connect a new cable. A couple of things that I learned about the cable...when you have it made, make sure that it is a cable designed to go over pulleys. It is much more flexible than common twisted cables. I recommend stainless. I had one made up at our local sail shop for less than $30. Please note: many of the thimbles made for 3/16" cables are too small for the centerboard shackle. It may require some searching for a large enough thimble, or you can use a thimble for 1/4" cables instead. I found out the hard way...after the first one I ordered was assembled.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Re: Douglas 216 centerboard cable
I was in the same boat last summer. I had to lift from the boat the centerboard and frame to gain access to connect a new cable. A couple of things that I learned about the cable...when you have it made, make sure that it is a cable designed to go over pulleys. It is much more flexible than common twisted cables. I recommend stainless. I had one made up at our local sail shop for less than $30. Please note: many of the thimbles made for 3/16" cables are too small for the centerboard shackle. It may require some searching for a large enough thimble, or you can use a thimble for 1/4" cables instead. I found out the hard way...after the first one I ordered was assembled.
the stock cable is much larger than 3/16". You can buy it here at the chandlery

May 23, 2021
Hunter 216 Point Bay Marina
The previous owner had replaced the cable too. I assumed the 3/16" cable he used was correct. What size should the cable be? How much does it cost at the chandlery?