Hunter 216 in light air

Apr 7, 2022
Hunter 216 Crosswinds, Lake Jordan
We use a Hunter 216 in our Adult Sailing classes. Sailing upwind in light air below 5 knots, the bow will drift downwind and the helm will not respond to turn it up. We have to jibe to tack over. We've tried different sail trim with the main and jib (standard furling jib), but no response. Anyone else have this problem. Our older 212 model does not have this problem.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
It can be frustrating trying to get used to a different boat. I had an 18 foot sloop that I built when I was in high school and it preformed just like the X Boat I learned to sail at Camp Lakewood in Missouri. Years later when I got my Hobie 18 I had much trouble learning to come about. Some people would sail a wide semicircle instead. I learned to back wind the jib and give her time to pull the bows around. I have had similar troubles in my Hunter 240. Light will gives me few issues but over 12 knots, even with the main reefed, it is very hard to sail with out the jib. I often fail to come about. I have added ballast which has helped but I am irritated with myself that after two years I don't have all the idiosyncrasies of the boat worked out. I know that it is me because other people sail these boats without issues. I have recently decided to always set the jib, even in high winds. The roller furling (new this year) allows me to reduce the size of the jib.
What is the difference between your Hunter 216 and the Hunter 212? Does your new boat have a mainsheet traveler?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A traveler will help but... try this. Just before you come about, fall off a few degrees... pick up some speed then come about hard and backwind the jib.

Apr 7, 2022
It can be frustrating trying to get used to a different boat. I had an 18 foot sloop that I built when I was in high school and it preformed just like the X Boat I learned to sail at Camp Lakewood in Missouri. Years later when I got my Hobie 18 I had much trouble learning to come about. Some people would sail a wide semicircle instead. I learned to back wind the jib and give her time to pull the bows around. I have had similar troubles in my Hunter 240. Light will gives me few issues but over 12 knots, even with the main reefed, it is very hard to sail with out the jib. I often fail to come about. I have added ballast which has helped but I am irritated with myself that after two years I don't have all the idiosyncrasies of the boat worked out. I know that it is me because other people sail these boats without issues. I have recently decided to always set the jib, even in high winds. The roller furling (new this year) allows me to reduce the size of the jib.
What is the difference between your Hunter 216 and the Hunter 212? Does your new boat have a mainsheet traveler?
The 216 is a newer model then the 212 in the Hunter 21 series and the designs are significantly different. Lifting keel vs. swing centerboard. Daggerboard rudder vs. swing rudder, light hull vs wide heavy hull. Sails are similar size with standard 90% furling jib. Neither has a traveler.
Alan

Apr 7, 2022
A traveler will help but... try this. Just before you come about, fall off a few degrees... pick up some speed then come about hard and backwind the jib.
The issue is that the bow drifts down so far in light breeze it won't come up at all to tack. I do back wind the jib when I can get it to come about in better breeze >6 knots. There's no mainsheet traveler on either model. The 212 comes up and tacks fine in light air. Alan

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It sounds like lee helm. Have you tried changing the mast rake? A longer forestay will increase the rake and increase weather helm.
The center board position can affect the center of lateral resistance, which can change the helm feel.
And also the boat trim affects the helm balance as OP learned. I'd be inclined to put some weight in the bow.

Jan 19, 2010
What @shemandr said... plus give this a try and see what it does...

Traveler2.JPG

If this seems to help, then you may want to add a traveler and get the boom to senter line.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
rgrainger's suggestion to bear off a little to gain speed is a good one, as is adjusting mast rake. the 216 has a very high aspect racing rudder that is easy to stall at low speeds, so keeping decent speed through a tack is critical. make sure your mast is set up per the rigging instructions, including the position of the mast base in the step. Because the jib is the forestay on the 216, you can only adjust the mast rake by tightening the shrouds and moving the mast base

Jan 19, 2010
Good idea. I'll try this strap first, if works, I'll need to figure out how to install a traveler. Otherwise, I'll consider shemandr's ideas.
I installed one for $30 of used parts on eBay. If you go that route…. let me know if you want pics

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is all about speed, not enough water flowing through the rudder. Go deeper on the tacks.