Hunter 212 - Trailerable - I need advice for the procedure on Replacing the 6mm Dyneema cord used to raise the retractable centerboard

Jul 24, 2021
Hunter 212 San Diego
Has anyone replaced the rope? The rope is snapped and the keel swings freely down. I'm pretty anti-professional service and want to avoid putting it on a lift, so I'm thinking about diving underneath and seeing if when the keel is extended, the tie-spot for the 6mm cord is accessible. I'm also considering cutting in from the top to access the rope-tie-spot, and then JB marinewelding it back together. -- However, it would be nice not to guess here. I just thought I'd throw my situation out here as I wait for the cord to ship and see if anyone has advice. Has anyone had to access the tie-spot on the centerboard, and how did you do it? Is the tie-up spot accessible from underneath the boat when the centerboard is extended, or do you need to drop the whole centerboard (and pivot box) to avoid cutting in from the cabin?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Suggest posting under small boats on Hunter owners. Manual can be found at boat info/Hunter resources/212/downloads/owners manual

Jul 24, 2021
Hunter 212 San Diego
Thanks, Crazy Dave. I'll try posting over there as well. The owners manual doesn't have the info I need.