Hunter 212 ... I have some questions after getting her going .... and what should I know?

Jul 24, 2021
Hunter 212 San Diego
This boat fell into my lap, and now that I have everything working, I'm just trying to figure what I should know.
1) Will it tip? --- I have no problem, in the right conditions, tipping the smaller non-cabin sailboats just trying to see how far I can push it, and I'll sail larger sailboats pretty hard without unreasonable concern. This 212 feels sketchy in heavy winds, and even in 10 mph winds I can hold a 25 degree lean if I try. with only 140 lbs of ballast, my guess is it will tip, but I'm hoping for more info from someone with authority or experience.
2) Tacking/stalling? --- I've found that I need to be much more methodical when turning through the wind or I get blown back before crossing. I'm just wondering, is this a trailer-sailer sort of thing that I should accept as normal (less wait/momentum???), a problem with the 212, or should I look at my rigging? It will stall out on turns as easy as a sabot ...
3) Cracking? --- The boat hasn't had freezing winters, but now that I have it, I'm thinking the cracking issues I read about are going to be a problem. WE get a few inches of snow and it freezes probably about 30 nights a year where I live and have it stored. Does anyone have any advice to avoid/or deal with the cracking?
4)Open Stern? ---- I'll get water creep several inches into the floor of the cabin when I'm angled just right into the wind or running under power. Has anyone had a problem with the open cabin, or been in the right orientation and had a problem with whitecaps or anything?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congrats on your new 212!!

1. Tipping propensity - sure since it has a centerboard, low ballast (140 lbs), high capsize screening formula: (3.02) and low comfort ratio (7.69).....consider adding additional crew for ballast and reefing as the wind increases to reduce heeling.
2. Tacking - with a jib and main it should be relatively easy to tack.....check these out: Tips For Tacking A Sailboat - Bing video and How to Tack a Sailboat With Mainsail or Jib (liveabout.com)
3. Cracking - see this thread (1) Hunter 212 cracks | Sailboat Owners Forums
4. Open stern with water creep into the cabin - suggest closing up the campanionway (at least partially) while sailing

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Hunter dealer who introduced that boat for Hunter , I will be glad to assist but max heeling is 12-14 degrees. I am developing arthritis in my hands now which I request to call you. I would suggest sending a private messagej

Jul 24, 2021
Hunter 212 San Diego
As a former Hunter dealer who introduced that boat for Hunter , I will be glad to assist but max heeling is 12-14 degrees. I am developing arthritis in my hands now which I request to call you. I would suggest sending a private messagej

Yeah, Crazy Dave, maybe you have insight, but I'm not even sure what I'm going to do sailwise. I decided to test the boat in higher winds, but I should have practiced reefing the sails ahead of time and made sure the jib roller had enough extra rope so that i could reel the sail in when the wind was pulling it super tight. Anyways, I ripped both sails the other week. I left the mast at home and motored to Santa Cruz island over the weekend and at went well. For now, until I find some cheap used sails or get good at sewing, I'm just going to use it as a slow motorboat. However, if you have something about the boat I should know, feel free to call 805-433-4958 --- Tim