Hunter 1993 23.5 mast stress crack

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Folks;
I will step in as a dealer perspective who was involved with the design of this boat.
The crack resulted from excessive force and I see some issues of weakness extending from it. Further, the stress loads are very high running in different directions due to loading from lower shroud and spreaders not to mention the forestay and tuning affecting the same area.
Welding has been suggested but the crack is too severe. I have seen welding done in that area only to fail. As for applying a plate, you are adding more holes which will only weaken it. As for the bracket shown , call U S Spars outside of Gainesville, Florida to see if it would fit. Z Spar left the country back in the 90’s only to return under another name, U S Spars. Long story but no need to bring that up.
My suggestion is to replace that mast but only you as the owner can make that decision. If an accident and you have insurance coverage, file a claim. If a mast used is available like @Serenity on Hudson is offering, depending distance, freight could be costly. A new mast I suspect is over $2,000 but not sure and freight would have to be calculated.
That crack is serious and I would seriously consider safety over trying to save a buck. Like I said you as the owner need to make that decision. As for experience working on that boat comes from selling nearly a quarter of the production line

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 23.5 St. James City, FL
Well, any answer I would give you would be for a permanent repair. @DrJudyB suggested if you put a plate on, to bed it in 5200 - an excellent suggestion and one that would allow you not to worry about corrosion at the seams. Splicing the same. I've seen spliced masts last decades.

I would worry about any fix involving welding as a viable long term solution. I don't do short term, generally...

dj
Folks;
I will step in as a dealer perspective who was involved with the design of this boat.
The crack resulted from excessive force and I see some issues of weakness extending from it. Further, the stress loads are very high running in different directions due to loading from lower shroud and spreaders not to mention the forestay and tuning affecting the same area.
Welding has been suggested but the crack is too severe. I have seen welding done in that area only to fail. As for applying a plate, you are adding more holes which will only weaken it. As for the bracket shown , call U S Spars outside of Gainesville, Florida to see if it would fit. Z Spar left the country back in the 90’s only to return under another name, U S Spars. Long story but no need to bring that up.
My suggestion is to replace that mast but only you as the owner can make that decision. If an accident and you have insurance coverage, file a claim. If a mast used is available like @Serenity on Hudson is offering, depending distance, freight could be costly. A new mast I suspect is over $2,000 but not sure and freight would have to be calculated.
That crack is serious and I would seriously consider safety over trying to save a buck. Like I said you as the owner need to make that decision. As for experience working on that boat comes from selling nearly a quarter of the production line
Thanks for your perspective, Dave. While mast repairs give good results for many, I agree that I need a mast replacement, and new standing rigging as well. I plan to do it right, for peace of mind. The last thing I need is to worry about the mast every time the winds pick up. The sailors in this forum have been incredibly helpful and generous with insight, and offers (Thank you, Serenity on Hudson). It's nice to have support when you're making a big decision.