Hunter 19 (91-94) Floating Centerboard

Aug 19, 2019
Hunter 19 (93-96) Ware Neck, VA
I purchased a 1993 Hunter 19 last August and in two times out could not get the centerboard to lower. In the fall I lowered the centerboard checked everything, replaced the spacers and centerboard line. The board did seem on the light side when handling it.
Today I took the boat out and again could not get the centerboard to lower. Finally I decided to go overboard to lower the centerboard. To my surprise I could push the board to its down position but it immediately floats back up into the housing. Anyone have any ideas? All I can think of is that someone removed the weight from the board. The board is painted and I do not see where any damage or changes have been made. I don't know if I can buy another centerboard or if this one can be modified to add weights and if so how much.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Seems like you could take the board out and put it in the bath tub. Then lay bricks on it until you sink it. Then weigh the bricks on the bathroom scale. Then buy some led shot... enough to weigh the same as the bricks . Drill some holes in your keel ... pour in the shot... fill with epoxy... fair... sand ... paint.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Send a private message to me with name and phone number. I will calll. contact info is confidential. Former dealer now retired

Aug 19, 2019
Evidently the centerboard met with some calamity with a previous owner and they had the centerboard rebuilt. I expect that the lead weight in the centerboard was lost without them knowing it. When they had the centerboard rebuilt, the hollow area in the lower third of the board was filled with styrofoam instead of lead, which is why the board floated and refused to lower. This likely contributed to the attractive price I paid for the boat.
Attached are pictures of the board and photos after I opened it. It is currently at a boatyard where they will put the lead back in the board. Hopefully I will get some photos with the lead before they close up the board.

20200629_145702w.jpg20200629_152442w.jpg20200629_155102w.jpg

Aug 19, 2019
Boatyard completed repair of the centerboard and lifted boat so I could reinstall board on Monday July 13. I have sailed boat several times since and board goes down as it should and up using the blocks and lines as detailed for the uphaul. Boat sailed great and occasionally reached a speed of over 5 knots when wind was good. Usually cruised in the 2-4 knot range. Also moves along at about 4 knots with little effort powered by Honda 2 hp 4 stroke motor at about half throttle. I had hoped boatyard would take some photos of repair but that didn't happen.