Hunter 19-1 help a newb?

Koltar

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 19-1 St. Joseph
Here is a link to a sailboat that I may get to start learning.

My sister lives on a lake and said I can park at her slip. I want to learn to sail and thought this looks like it might be a good boat to start on. Now forgive me for my ignorance I have done a lot of research but wow there seems to be a lot. I thought it might be best to ask people that know. So here I am.

I want to learn to sail I am 43, in good health and have had boats all my life. Currently have a 30' power boat on Lake Michigan but still want to be sailing!
I need to learn more before I go stupid and buy a big boat. Any advice?

Thanks,
Dave

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Just go for it and have fun!!...............Everyone has their own experience on how they started to sail so you will gets lots of advice from the forum. Lessons and crewing on other boats is good way to learn. Once you feel you have sufficient experience charter several larger sailboats and when ready buy that big boat.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I notice in the ad for the boat you linked that the boat does not have an outboard. You should perhaps put some thought to how you deal with that issue.

Some info about the lake would also help. Are there marinas or sailing clubs on the lake where you could get some local help to learn etc.

Koltar

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 19-1 St. Joseph
I was thinking of just putting a small 3 or 4 hp engine on it. The lake has no Marinas and no clubs. In fact there are few boats on it. I believe it is like 20HP or less motorboats only lake. The price seems good though but maybe I am just wanting it to be a good price haha. I can pull that with my SUV but I do not want to go really any bigger.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
This is a link to specific info posted on this site

If you decide to proceed with purchase - pretty hard to go too far wrong at that price :) I would suggest a few.things.

Check the integrity of the trailer - is it road worthy?

Ask the current owner to step the mast and rig sails etc and take lots of photos so you know how to get it ready to sail at your lake.

Have some type of motor attached so you have the option to drop the sails and get back to where you started.

For your first few outings be patient and wait for light winds < 10mph

If your going to learn on your own, do some reading beforehand so you know the basics.

The most important thing is have a good quality - comfortable life jacket and always wear it!

Welcome to sailing :)

Koltar

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 19-1 St. Joseph
Yeah now I am already looking at outboards or maybe even an electric trolling motor and I do not even have a boat for one yet haha. Thank you guys I appreciate your input.
Do any of you know if this boat will have trouble tacking into the wind? I want to be able to test skills on it.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The other way to go is buy a relatively new dinghy or small multihull, the Hunter is almost as old as you :) so likely needs some maintenance. Check out RS Sailing, Laser, Hobie etc.

Koltar

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 19-1 St. Joseph
Well the idea is to learn to sail to eventually get to a 32' sailboat in a few years. Like I said I am full of ignorance here and thought a dinghy or multiyhull may not give me what I am looking for. Am I completely wrong here?

Feb 21, 2013
Great starter sailboat and great price!!............you will be hooked immediately and looking for your next sailboat.......maybe a 32 footer.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Well the idea is to learn to sail to eventually get to a 32' sailboat in a few years. Like I said I am full of ignorance here and thought a dinghy or multiyhull may not give me what I am looking for. Am I completely wrong here?
I was simply pointing out that a new dinghy is another way to go. All of your time will be spent learning to sail - no maintenance. Lots of dinghys have a mainsail and a jib - same as a 32 footer. Learn to sail on your inland lake, sell the dinghy and buy the bigger boat or keep it at the lake and have the bigger one for Lake Michigan when it’s time.

There is a common term here on SBO. Your boat your choice :)

Koltar

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 19-1 St. Joseph
I was simply pointing out that a new dinghy is another way to go. All of your time will be spent learning to sail - no maintenance. Lots of dinghys have a mainsail and a jib - same as a 32 footer. Learn to sail on your inland lake, sell the dinghy and buy the bigger boat or keep it at the lake and have the bigger one for Lake Michigan when it’s time.

There is a common term here on SBO. Your boat your choice :)
Oh I appreciate your input maybe I will do that instead if one comes around. I was just not sure doing it that way would work out for me but since you said that I think it would =). I honestly did not know. I will keep my eye out.

Feb 21, 2013
Koltar...........I started sailing on a 16' Hobie Cat, then wind surfers and within a few years crewed on a 30+ ft boat once and was so confident about handling a sailboat that I started to charter 35+ ft sailboats. Once I decided to own my own sailboat I purchased a Hunter 31, within a year a Hunter 386 and 5 years later a Hunter 46, all the time I owned a ski boat and 56 ft motor yacht. As you know with owning a power boat............boating anyway you can get it, is contagious!! Get that Hunter 19 and go have fun!!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Well there is always a risk of analysis paralysis :) but if you can get into trying for $1000 or so for the Hunter and it turns into a maintenance headache you can just scrap it. Some “sailors” seem to enjoy the maintenance / repair process as much as sailing :)

If your more the type that wants to spend your time doing the sport and don’t have the time, interest or skill to fix things yourself perhaps a new boat is a better fit.

Ahh decisions, decisions welcome to sailing! :)

Sep 30, 2019
Hunter 19 (91-94) Baton Rouge
Where is the tiller and rudder? I am not familiar with this boat but I have the 91-94 Hunter 19 and just took it out for my first sail yesterday. I must be missing something because all these experienced people didn't mention it but that boat you posted the link to appears to have no rudder or tiller. Anyway, good luck to you.

Koltar

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 19-1 St. Joseph
Great point in fact I got a msg from the seller.

"Always sailed without outboard. Tiller needs to be replaced. 3 pieces of plywood that cover the cutti need to be replaced but are not needed to sail. Rudder and other components are complete and ready to sail. "

Those seem like some things I can easily make without too much hassle though.

Koltar

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 19-1 St. Joseph
Anyone know if this is a boat that I could put the mast up myself on? Also take down.

Sep 30, 2019
Hunter 19 (91-94) Baton Rouge
you have to use the mainsheet with a gin pole. something like this but your gin pole would be about half the length.

there may be specific instructions for your model. There were instructions in my manual for the 91-94 Hunter 19. If you have a friend with you you can probably do it without the gin pole. Alone, you'll definitely need it. Also be careful that you mast doesn't go to either side when you are raising or lowering it. A bent mast is useless. There are special cables to stabilize mine during stepping.

Last edited:

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
Welcome to the fun world of wind. A couple of things to remember,
1. Do wear a life jacket
2. A sailboat will lean, its what they do. Install an inexpensive tilt indicator it will help you develop a feel for what is ok (I tell passengers 15 degrees is ok, they can yell at me at 20).
3. You can always swing into the wind
4. Your boat will take more than you will.
5. Don't dwell on these things just file them and go for the fun.