Hunter 18 bottom paint?

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Just purchased this used 18 that appears to have been painted with a thick, textured material that is peeling off in some places. Any idea what this material is, why it might have been applied, and what to do with it? Should I try to remove it, paint over it, ...? I hate the look of it, prefer a nice white hull...

IMG_5469[1].JPG

IMG_5470[1].JPG

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
Sadly they had to have abraded the gel coat prior to putting what must be antifouling paint. Never tried it but from what I've read, the work is in the sanding then polishing the gelcoat after paint removal to get scratches and original finish back. Best bet is probably to have it repainted but with a high gloss polyurethane.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
It looks like anti fouling paint that was applied with a roller and is now disbonding from the bottom.

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Sadly they had to have abraded the gel coat prior to putting what must be antifouling paint. Never tried it but from what I've read, the work is in the sanding then polishing the gelcoat after paint removal to get scratches and original finish back. Best bet is probably to have it repainted but with a high gloss polyurethane.
Where it has peeled appears to be a still glossy finish (maybe that is why it is peeling to start with). I am thinking it is a big job to sand off the existing paint and then gelcoat. Painting over it with anything seems problematic if it is peeling. I have yet to do a full inspection of the entire bottom.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@mark2

You did not tell us your boat model year. I do not believe it is ACP plastic boat but latter model built out of fiberglass. If so it sounds like the bottom was not prepped first to remove mold wax. Send me a private message with location and phone number so I can calll. Former dealer who introduced the 18 but now retired