Hunter 18.5 mast foot replacment

Aug 29, 2013
Macgregor 26 Paris
I recently purchased a 1990 Hunter 18.5 sailboat. Unfortunately, I've broken the mast foot and need a replacement. The mast is a pre-2000 Z 145 and the foot and step for this mast are part no. 3236 (mast foot) and part no. 1112 (mast step base) from US Spars pre-2000 catalog (p. 6). US Spars has a replacement mast foot and mast step base deck plate kit (which I've ordered but haven't received yet). Evidently, installing the kit involves replacing both the mast foot and the mast step deck plate and cutting a hole in the mast to route the halyard. Does anyone know of a less complicated way to accomplish this fix? Perhaps someone can point me to a source for an OEM mast foot that will fit my mast without the need for alteration of the mast. Photo of the broken
2016-03-07 17.55.50.jpg
mast step is attached. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
send me a private email via forum so I can advise. I was the largest small boat dealer for Hunter. include phone and location. I cannot type much as left hand injured yesterday

Aug 29, 2013
Macgregor 26 Paris
The replacement parts should arrive today. I've reconciled myself to the idea that I'll have to install the replacement kit, including the mast modification. I'm looking for a rigger to do the work. I don't trust myself not to screw it up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
TA; be glad to advise if you need help. Contact me thru forum email as I was a small Hunter dealer now retired. My policy regarding private information, not even my wife will know.

MHJ

Jan 31, 2021
Hunter 18.5 Logan Martin / BSC
I recently purchased a 1990 Hunter 18.5 sailboat. Unfortunately, I've broken the mast foot and need a replacement. The mast is a pre-2000 Z 145 and the foot and step for this mast are part no. 3236 (mast foot) and part no. 1112 (mast step base) from US Spars pre-2000 catalog (p. 6). US Spars has a replacement mast foot and mast step base deck plate kit (which I've ordered but haven't received yet). Evidently, installing the kit involves replacing both the mast foot and the mast step deck plate and cutting a hole in the mast to route the halyard. Does anyone know of a less complicated way to accomplish this fix? Perhaps someone can point me to a source for an OEM mast foot that will fit my mast without the need for alteration of the mast. Photo of the broken View attachment 120649 mast step is attached. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
Did you replace the foot? I am waiting on the parts to do the same thing. It looks like I have to cut a hole in the mast for a halyard exit.

MHJ

Jan 31, 2021
Hunter 18.5 Logan Martin / BSC
I recently purchased a 1990 Hunter 18.5 sailboat. Unfortunately, I've broken the mast foot and need a replacement. The mast is a pre-2000 Z 145 and the foot and step for this mast are part no. 3236 (mast foot) and part no. 1112 (mast step base) from US Spars pre-2000 catalog (p. 6). US Spars has a replacement mast foot and mast step base deck plate kit (which I've ordered but haven't received yet). Evidently, installing the kit involves replacing both the mast foot and the mast step deck plate and cutting a hole in the mast to route the halyard. Does anyone know of a less complicated way to accomplish this fix? Perhaps someone can point me to a source for an OEM mast foot that will fit my mast without the need for alteration of the mast. Photo of the broken View attachment 120649 mast step is attached. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
Hello, I ordered and received my replacement kit for the mast foot. Do you know what the block is for? Photo attached.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
DWyer ois a small boat mast manufacturer that many small boat manufacturers used. The original owner of Dwyer recently sold his buisness due to retiring.