Hunter 170 vs Catalina 16.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod

I'm looking to purchase my first sailboat. I'm leaning toward a daysailor because I'd like to be able to trailor it to a wide variety of lakes in my area. I've searched the archives here and found some comparisons between the H170 and the C16.5. Most of those revolved around the self-bailing capabilities of the boats. However, in the Hunter forum there are a lot of complaints about turtling and tippiness of the 170. I understand there is the risk of tipping and turtling with any daysailor, but these complaints are not noticeable in the Catalina forums. Is the C16.5 a more stable boat? Rod

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Rod, You May Want To Repost

... on CatalinaOwners.com It is similar to this site but for Catalina owners specifically. Ultimately, you will want to see if you can arrange a test sail for each. Good luck, Rick D.

R

Rod

Variety of opinions

I did post the message there, but I would like to hear from Hunter owners too. Thanks

G

Glenn Haake

Don't know about the C16.5

But I had a C14.2. It was a very stable boat, and we had a blast on it. It was a great (forgivable) boat to learn on before moving up. The C16.5 looks similar to the 14.2.

J

Jeff D

Don't limit yourself

I have also seen the posts about the stability of the 170 but have no direct experience with it. May I suggest that you look around your local lakes and see what is being raced and is a popular boat. I would consider a Flying Scott, Highlander, O'Day Daysailor,Lighting or similar boat. These are stable, fast and can be great for daysailing for a small family. A lot of people put samll auxillaries on them when not racing. Since you are in the midwest, you also might consider a scow but they will have a higher learning curve. Of course always buy used. Good luck

C

Calvin

170 is a good boat

I had a 170 for about a year before moving up to a 260. It is a good boat. It is easy to set up and take down - about 15 minutes for each. My wife and I sailed it in some pretty hairy conditions and never did go over. The trick is to stay on the high side and keep the mainsheet in your hand. However, if you do go over and turtle the relatively broad beam of the boat will make it a chore to get back up. I had one of the first year models and I think Hunter has made some modifications to make it more difficult to turtle. Two things that can be done to keep the boat from turtling are 1. Seal the mast using foam. 2. Attach a float to the mast top - like many Hobbie Cats have. While not a speed demon the 170 is definitely faster than the Catalina 16.5 and has much more room.

C

Calvin

As far as stability goes...

I forget to address this issue. The hull of the 170 is very rounded. This gives it an initial feeling of instablility. If you are sailing with a partner and the wind is not blowing the partner will have to do lot of moving from side to side to keep the boat balanced. However the rounded hull gives the boat great secondary stability - it is hard to tip it over but not hard to tip it. I have not sailed in a 16.5 but it has a flatter hull so it will have greater initial stablilty but less secondary stability.

R

Rod

Initial Stability

I think that's a good point. I am a whitewater kayaker and know first hand how initial stability is different from secondary. I wondered how sailboats were affected by this too.

D

Dick in MI

I'm a new 170 owner

We bought ours this summer. Like you, I had some concerns about stability and actually contacted about 25 Hunter 170 owners for their insights before buying. I also considered the Catalina. The boat can be sensitive to weight placement, no doubt about it. Still, it has been more stable than I expected. We had it out in a variety of conditions up to about 15 mph winds. We ordered the Hobie float, and that gave us some peace of mind, although I only had one instance where I thought we might actually go over....didn't do it though. The new 170's have a heavier centerboard and come with reef points installed in the mainsail. When in doubt, we reef the main or sail only under the main. The boat is easy to rig and take down and is fairly fast...we've actually cruised right past other boats on a parallel course even when our mainsail was reefed. I think in the long run the fact that we have to cognoscente of weight placement will make us better sailors, although it can be a little frustrating at times. We've had as few as two adults and as many as 4 adults plus one child on board, although we seem to do best with three adults. For some reason, the weight works out the best for us that way. Also, it handles best for us between 7-10 mph winds.

C

Crazy Dave Condon

sailed both

Rod; I know the boats well as I sell and sail them alot. For what it is worth, stability about the same. Speed is al little faster with the 170 since it has a longer water line but the boat of course is one factor. Both boats are built well. Make sure to tie the sucker down onto the trailer. I forgot to strap the back down once on a 16.5 and as I went around the corner, it did too. Nope, I was not drinking moonshine at the time but was in a hurry to go sip some of them suds. Crazy Dave Condon

R

Randy

H170 Review (and Price)

I bought a 170 last spring and we love the boat. It is nimble, manueverable, fast into the wind, quick to get onto the water and quick to put away. Yes, it is very sensitive to weight placement. It seems to be a bit slow downwind. And if you turtle, you have a problem. After replacing the broken mast (from the recovery efforts) I added the mast float. Works great, don't buy a 170 without one. I'd be happy to share, off-list, the price I paid at the boat show last spring. Email(Randy@NetSpeaker.com).

P

philippe lesage

tipping and turtling hunter 170

Hey In the very beginning i've got also that problem. As you said, it's typical for a daysailor. But after all, now I've my boat 3 years, it's the best buy. When I tipped over and even turtled once, it was due to big faults of me. First of all: Only go to sail in good weather conditions, max 15/18 knts. Second: Do have enough people on board in relation to the wind force. In moderate winds : 3 persons. Third: Pull the jib as flat as possible and ease the main in the gusts. Look to the water to see coming the gusts. Fourth: Install a trapeze So, if you adjust some things, you will have a great boat, with a lot of space. Enjoy ! Philippe

C

Crazy Dave Condon

sailing conditions

Phillipe is correct about sailing in conditions that will conmunserate with your experience. Too often I have to tell folks that alot of wind on any daysailor will blow you all over the place as a result of many factors to include lack of experience, too much wind, too much sail area and most important too much heel. This applies to all daysailors. Anything over 15% heel on the 170 is too much as I find sailing faster flatter on this boat as a result of the hull design. This is based on experience with the prototype and even racing this rascal in a swimming pool once. I do not recommend a trapeze as this has been asked several times. This boat does not need it and I fear that damage and injury will result./ Crazy Dave Condon

R

Rod

Flying Scot

Jeff D and others, Thanks for all of the great advice! I truly appreciate your comments. I'd like to see photos of Crazy Dave racing the 170 in a swimming pool. But I would also like to follow up on Jeff D's comment about other possible boats. I've done some more research and there is a Flying Scot commuity close by. But its difficult learning more about this boat. I've been to the FlyingScot.com site but I've not been able to find comparsions of this boat to other daysailers. I'm really looking for something that I can single hand when I want to get away from the job and something that my family can enjoy with me. The Flying Scot seems to meet these basic requirements at first glance. Does Jeff or Crazy Dave or any one else have any personal experience with the Flying Scot they'd care to provide? Thanks

C

Calvin

Scot is a Great Boat

I have had a Scot in the past. It is a great boat and is probably the most stable performance dingy around. The problem with it is that it is very difficult for one person to set up and take down because the 28 foot mast is pretty heavy. If we had been able to keep our boat in the water I doubt that we would have ever gotten rid of it.

D

Dick in MI

I learned on a Scot

I really like them. But I wanted something that was easy to trailer and setup/takedown. The Hunter filled that bill a little better. I found the Scot easier to sail than the 170 and more stable to boot, but a lot more work unless you can keep it in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.