Hunter 170 mast length

Aug 18, 2013
Hunter 170 Annapolis, MD
Hi -

Am repairing a 170 mast that was hit by a falling tree limb and sheared in two at the top where the shroud lines connect. I have an exact matching piece to recreate the mast but I'd like to know how long it is.

I have the detailed owners manual but it lists the dimension as "MAST HEIGHT". So, I am not sure if that means it was measured from the bottom of the boat -OR- is the actual mast length.

This is not critical.... but if I can get it exactly right, why not?

Can someone measure their mast length for me and (IMPORTANT), tell me EXACT how/where you measure FROM and TO.

The owners manual say 25' 6".

Appreciate the help !!

Owners Manual is here:

http://www.usdrapers.com/Dave/Files/Hunter170OwnersManual.pdf

Aug 10, 2012
Hunter 170 Annapolis
I measured mine from my 2000 H170. It was 23'-9" without the masthead and sheaves. Hope it helps.

Aug 18, 2013
Hunter 170 Annapolis, MD
I measured mine from my 2000 H170. It was 23'-9" without the masthead and sheaves. Hope it helps.
John, sorry getting back to you so late but.... when I pieced mine together as best I could (parts were bent up pretty good)... I also arrived at 23' 9" as the mast length. So this helps confirm that.

The owners manual lists mast height as 25' 6" so that must be measured from hull bottom.

FYI... Marlow-Hunter (who bought Hunter HCT) responded to me with detailed engineering drawings of the mast they believed were from the older HCT company. It says Hunter 170 on the drawings but they were actually useless as they did not match anything on my mast at all. Attached that file here. No idea what that goes to.

Again thanks for taking the measurements. - Dave

Attachments

Aug 18, 2013
Hunter 170 Annapolis, MD
HA! How did I not think of that !?!? Truth is... I have not seen the boom yet. I am fixing this for a friend and while I have all the gear... I have not seen it fully rigged yet (boom is in the sail bag).

PLUS.... Marlow-Hunter sent this to me as a drawing of the mast? I thought it was like page 1 of 3.

Funny stuff.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
ON the hunter 170, the mast and boom may have come from Dwyer Aluminum Mast company., Google them and they will know the information and can help you. They are the oldest small mast manufactuer in the U.S..