Hunter 170 Asymmetrical Spinnaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2009
2 Hunter 170 Southampton, NY
Hi,

I just purchased a Hunter 170. I've used an Asymmetrical Spinnaker on a 32 ft. Hunter but I don't know if it's worth the $1200 for the 170. Any concerns about stability? Also, do the lines running to the stern become a problem? I love the boat and just thought this would add some fun when downwind sailing. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, George

Jul 21, 2009
Balboa 26 Lake Massabesic, NH
Hi George,
I've also been looking at the spinnaker option; there are several pages towards the end of the manual that show the setup. I agree that the stern lines do look cluttered. I've got a couple of old sails that I picked up on eBay in a package deal for a backup mainsail; I've been thinking about seeing if I could set one up as a spinnaker. $1200 is a big pile of money for an option that looks like it may be more work than fun.
Fair winds,
Frank

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Thought about the spinnaker kit myself but the price is still beyond my pain point and used setups are a rare find. Has anyone tried poleing out the jib? How did that work out?

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
What in the world does one get for $1200?! I paid $1100 for an asymm for our 280 (~380 sq ft.) which included a sock, $40 for a pair of modest blocks for the stern quarters and ~ $125 for a new spinnaker halyard that I put in myself. Bought some inexpensive braided polypro line (it floats!!) for sheets that is rated ok for the time being (I only fly it in light winds).

Last edited:

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
It includes a bowsprit assembly and all rigging. Not that this justifies $1200! I suppose it's a low quanity issue as their other sails are surprisingly affordable but I suspect the quanity sold will go up if the drop below $1K.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
OK gotcha. Forgot about the bowsprit. Isn't it carbon fiber?

Q

Quoheleth

Buying parts

is it possible to buy a separate spinnaker and the necessary parts to put a rig together for less than $1200?

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
OK gotcha. Forgot about the bowsprit. Isn't it carbon fiber?
For 1200 dollars it SHOULD be carbon fiber but I doubt it.

The only thing special about the kit is the bowsprit. Everything else is easily rigged and I suspect one can purchase the spinnaker for a reasonable price. Rigging instructions are in the owner's manual.

Jul 21, 2009
Balboa 26 Lake Massabesic, NH
I don't use a pole on the jib, although I've been thinking about it. The problem is, since I usually single-hand, it's too much for me to do. If I'm going to be sailing downwind for any length of time, I run the jib sheets outside the sidestays, and it works pretty well. Typically this works best if you've got crew... 8D

Status
Not open for further replies.