Hunter 170 ACP repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bioman

I have a 9" hull-penetrating crack horizontal in the transom that allows water into the hull. Its an odd place for a crack, and no evidence of collision or other trauma. Any other owners experience this and 2) how can ACP be repaired? Fiberglass apparently will not stick to it... No responses from Hunter yet on this subject. Thanks in advance.

E

Edwin

H170 repair

Go check the archives for the H170. I recently repaired several cracks on my model and you're right - Hunter won't reply. However I believe it is JY Yachts, who make the H170, did reply and I think I still have an emailable step-by-step repair manual on my other computer. Fortunately you can get the 2-part plastic repair stuff at Walmart for just a few dollars. I went through five to get mine ready for the season - but I just got back from trailering down to FL for some sailing and everything held up fine. My email address is emc857@owensboro.net if you want to send me your address for the repair manual. Also if you log onto the daysailer forum imstead of the small boat forum you'll find other H170 owners.

B

Brian

170 repair

bioman, email dennis@sailing-obsession.com. He is my Hunter dealer and has a lot of experience repairing the ACP boats. Good luck.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Macon Ga
Indestructable?

Whats the deal here? I thought this hull material was indestructable. I have been toying with the idea of getting a 216 so I would like to hear from more owners of 170's and 216's about the durability of the hull material.

C

crazy dave condon

repairs

Sometimes we do not know what causes things but this material is the easist to fix. It is suggested that yo get the plexisus as it will adhere. Any two part epoxy will not work. Not knowing how wide the crack, the first thing is to drill a 1/8 inch hole at each end of the crack to keep it from spreading. Take a dremel and cut thru to the foam construction underneath. Then fill with plexisus. Let dry and sand smooth with wet/dry. Once done, then mask off the area with tape and newspaper and spray with Krylon 1501 white. Several coats should be fine. Let dry and then wet sand lightly with 400 and then 1000 sandpaper. As for the 216, since the first left the factory to my dealership, I have not had any problems with the cracking. You are fine with this boat. I have sailed it in 35 knots of wind. If you want to know more, find me but when you do, do not advise this forum who or where I am out of respect for this forum. Thanks. Crazy dave condon

J

Jacktar

216 indestructable

Hi Calvin! You bet the 216 is indestructable. Our's had been subjected to the tailend of Hurricane Isabel way up here in upstate NY in 2003. She had been slammed repeatedly against her slip neighbor and the floating dock, snapped a half-inch double-braided mooring line, tethered motor torn off chewed up the rudder. Damage: Stem beat up somewhat, and except for the rudder,cosmetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.