Hunter 146 cockpit bailer detached from hose

Jun 14, 2020
Hungter 146 Bordentown
Hello,

I just bought a 2005 146 as a step up from my Sunfish. Looking forward to getting out on the water.

The cockpit auto-bailer is not attached to the hose that connects to the thru-hull at the stern. I tried but I can't reach it via the stern deck plate to reattach. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Can't think of a way to re-attach the existing one. Perhaps the solution is to replace it.

So...

1. Find some tubing of the same diameter as the tube that has come detached, but about a couple of feet longer..
2. Using a coat hanger or similar as a needle, thread a rope through the old tubing and exit hole before cutting the old tubing free and removing it. Depending on how it is situated, it may be easier to remove the old tubing then thread the rope. The trick will be to keep from loosing the tubing in the hull, though that would not be the end of the world.
3. Using the rope to guide it, thread the new tubing into place. It might be a good idea to taper the leading end so you can grab it with some pliers to pull it into place.
4. Using a suitable adhesive, secure the new tubing. I'm thinking coating the tubing and pulling it back and forth to coat the insides of the entry and exit fittings might be an effective technique.
5. Once the adhesive has set, trim off the excess tubing and dress the ends to ensure a good seal.

Hope this advice helps, and comes soon enough.

Jun 14, 2020
Hungter 146 Bordentown
Can't think of a way to re-attach the existing one. Perhaps the solution is to replace it.

So...

1. Find some tubing of the same diameter as the tube that has come detached, but about a couple of feet longer..
2. Using a coat hanger or similar as a needle, thread a rope through the old tubing and exit hole before cutting the old tubing free and removing it. Depending on how it is situated, it may be easier to remove the old tubing then thread the rope. The trick will be to keep from loosing the tubing in the hull, though that would not be the end of the world.
3. Using the rope to guide it, thread the new tubing into place. It might be a good idea to taper the leading end so you can grab it with some pliers to pull it into place.
4. Using a suitable adhesive, secure the new tubing. I'm thinking coating the tubing and pulling it back and forth to coat the insides of the entry and exit fittings might be an effective technique.
5. Once the adhesive has set, trim off the excess tubing and dress the ends to ensure a good seal.

Hope this advice helps, and comes soon enough.
Thanks very much!

Step 3 is going to be the challenge. I’ll let you know how I make out.

Apr 11, 2020
Thanks very much!

Here's a thought...

Once you have the new section of tubing cut and ready to go in, immerse it in ice water for several minutes. I'm thinking this will do 2 things: 1. Make it less flaccid so it can be pushed and guided more effectively, and 2. cause it to shrink so that it will be easier to get through the openings in the cockpit and hull.

Jun 14, 2020
Hungter 146 Bordentown
Thanks very much!

Here's a thought...

Once you have the new section of tubing cut and ready to go in, immerse it in ice water for several minutes. I'm thinking this will do 2 things: 1. Make it less flaccid so it can be pushed and guided more effectively, and 2. cause it to shrink so that it will be easier to get through the openings in the cockpit and hull.
Oh wait a sec. now I see where you’re going with this. Your suggesting running tubing on the INSIDE of the fittings??

I’m not a fan of that plan. I think making a tool to reach is my best option. The deck port allows access to the cockpit fitting, just not by my hand.

Apr 11, 2020
Always best to repair what is there if possible. If there is a way to do that, then do. Your original post seemed to indicate not.

The question needs to be asked; why did the tube come loose, and even if you manage to get it back in place, how would you secure it?