Hunter 146 boom pulling away from gooseneck rivets

Jul 6, 2022
Hunter 146 Great Pond, Rome ME
See attached photos. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Am I looking at a new boom/gooseneck assembly, and if so, where can I find them for the H146?

IMG_1423.jpeg
IMG_1424.jpeg

Thanks.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
A properly-equipped and trained welder could fill that material and re-drill it for reattachment.

Alternatively, you could just drill out the rivets, trim the damaged area off the boom, drill new holes, and re-assemble.

I think it would be a good idea to add a few rivets or bolts in other places. It looks like that boom has come under a fair amount of stress.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
Just drill out the old rivets and install new. One in from the bottom and one on each side a couple of hole diameters above the old holes. Clean up all the old holes and use JB Weld to fill the holes in the casting and let cure. Sand off any excess as needed to get the casting to slide into the boom. Reassemble both parts with wax paper between the old boom holes and casting (to prevent bonding to the casting) and fill the boom holes with JB weld. Drill the new rivet holes and install rivets wet with a decent silicon sealant.

Jul 6, 2022
Hunter 146 Great Pond, Rome ME
Thanks @CurtisC, I did pretty much exactly as you said and I'm back in business! It was easier than I thought it would be.

I believe the problem stemmed from the boom being folded up and pressed too tightly against the mast while being stored last winter. Next winter I remove the boom from the mast completely.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a dealer, I had words with the mast mfg for not putting on four robots vs 2 as it happened to me. Never store a boom with it still attached to the mast with the mast down