Hunter 140 purchase advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshute

May 3, 2013
Hunter 140 MA
Hello all, considering the purchase of a priced to sell Hunter 140 (1998 model) for my first sailboat. Given all the discussion of cracking issues in these boats, I am extremely hesitant, however the subject boat has only one hairline crack about 9 inches long. Given its age, I would guess that if it was in fact built with a substandard plastic resin, it would have developed more cracks by now. Thoughts, advice?? This boat has supposedly always been stored in a barn and I plan to store in my garage. Thanks!

Jul 4, 2012
hunter 170 Shelbyville
I might be wrong, and I'm sure others may offer their advice, but that's kinda the approach I took to my 170. I too was concerned about the cracking issues but I really liked the design of the boat. I found a 2003 with only a single 4 inch long surface crack on the floor which looks more like it happened from something being dropped on the floor rather than a stress fracture. My thinking was if the hull hasn't cracked apart in 9 years I'm probably going to be ok. I did drill and repair the crack with Devcon though shortly after I bought it.

Aug 10, 2012
Hunter 170 Annapolis
I recently bought a 170 as well (2000). I found only 1 crack that I would consider a stress crack. there were others that were from abuse, but overall, it's a great first boat.

Feb 14, 2011
JY sailboats JY 14 Youngstown Yacht Club
I currently have a JY-14 (earlier version of the Hunter 140) and can attest that a majority of the cracking that I have noticed occurs at the mast step. My boat spent a lot of time in the Northeast, so it was subject to significant temperature changes throughout the year. I don't remember when it cracked exactly, but it has been that way for quite sometime. I would recommend inspecting the mast step area thoroughly. None of the cracks on my boat create any kind of functional impairment whatsoever.

However, I did have cracks on the gunwales of my boat due to rough landings at the dock which i was able to easily repair using the ACP repair methods on this website. i dont think I would let a 9 inch hairline crack keep me from buying the boat if you really like it. Like I said, mine has been cracked for a number of years now and despite them I havent had any problems with it. If you want you can always dremel out the crack, fill it with resin and epoxy, and sand it smooth once its dried.

Status
Not open for further replies.