Hunt for a 310

Dec 3, 2020
Catalina 320 283 Sheboygan, WI
After looking at 30's, 34's, 310, and 36, my wife and I have narrowed our boat search to a 310. Seems right now the 310's for sale have dried up in our lake. We're in Sheboygan, WI on the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan. I'm figuring we'll need to open our search to a national search. What concerns should I include in considering a salt water boat? Also, would appreciate marine transport recommendations....probably east coast pick-up to Wisconsin. If anyone knows of a 310 available (or potentially available), would appreciate to know (we can pm).

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I won’t lecture on the wisdom of being wedded to one specific brand boat in the size range of choice so can say only that our son who lives in WI has shipped a few boats, some over 31 ft, he has bought over the years from CT, FL and other East coast locations to Lake Michigan with no problem at reasonable cost.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There's only 3 on Yachtworld and one is in Wisconsin better call today, newer Catalinas 30' - 38' in high demand and low supply here in local market for sure.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Good choice! My wife and I attended several boat shows before we bought our C310. We always came back to look at the C310 again after viewing other sailboats in the 30+ foot range. We love the open concept for it's ventilation and comfort for a couple on extended cruises. The incredible engine access is an added benefit, as are the sail controls all leading back to the cockpit.
As far as what to look for on a salt water boat, I would check the maintenance log to see if the heat exchanger has been cleaned and tested, especially on an older boat.
C310' s don't seem to last long on the market, and there are good reasons for that. I hope you find one soon!

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Here is one:

This boat has been docked next to us for 17 years. The owner hasn’t had it out more than once a year! They have spent a number of weekends on the boat every summer, and have maintained it in good condition. Minimal hours on the engine and the sails. Fresh water boat, and you could sail it around to Lake Michigan yourself. I’ll answer other questions if I can.

Oops. Missed that you are looking for a Catalina 310! Oh well...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Yeah, probably not a good idea to do that IN THE C310 FORUM. ;-)
Story if my comment offended - I know nothing about Catalina 310 and only meant to suggest he might benefit from a broader search if he hasn’t already done so before narrowing down a choice.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We bought our boat from Green Turtle bay at Kentucky Lake from a Broker-John Pinney- who we would use again in a minute!
Fresh water boats are worth more as they have less problems caused by saltwater.
We used Sailboat Transports (sailorsmovingsailors.com) Derek Leslie, who also moved friends of ours sailboats, We would recommend him in a minute also, He was VERY Particular about our Baby!
2002 Catalina 310 Cruiser for sale - YachtWorld this is a freshwater boat on the great lakes.
Practical Sailor did a comparison of the 31s and liked the Catalina best over the beneteau and hunter.
Do you own research and be prepared to be ready to visit a boat and move forward when you find YOUR boat!
Be vigilant! and Perservere!

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Perhaps you have better luck (if) when the border opens. We got lucky last year when we bought a C350. We looked on all the Great Lakes for 4 months and found one 150 miles from us. We bought it the first day it was listed. I was prepared to buy a Canadian boat site unseen with a survey and then ship it to our home port. There are threads on this site that talk about doing just that. It can be done if the price and condition is right it's worth the effort.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Good luck and keep looking. We spent awhile looking for the right 2nd boat. Had given up when a friend called and said a nice 310 was for sale by owner 30 min from our house. Over 2 years now and she is a great boat for our use. Sailed her every month since August 2019 to date.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I sail on the salt. If I were to relocate and become a laker, I would without question acquire a fresh water ONLY boat...and if I were to acquire a new boat and had choices, and if the only difference between two boats was one was a laker, that would be the one I'd go after. Removing the galvanic aging from any boat makes it the top contender...