Hull waxing method

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Hey all, so yesterday I felt it was time to clean up the hull so I got some 3M rubbing compound and some wax then went to work. 4 hours later I had one side on our 36 done with 3 steps, rubbing compound, polisher and wax, though I'm pretty happy with it I'll be skipping polishing on the other side.

Now I need to do the other side that's not facing the dock. I could turn the boat but I wonder if it would be easier to use the dinghy and scoot along side. Having to constantly move the bow, mid, rear sections towards the dock was tricky so using dinghy would follow the shape better but will it be stable enough? also the dock is considerably higher and getting to the lower part of the hull was difficult, again using a dinghy I think would get me lower.

Anyone have a good experience using the dinghy to wax? If so how's a good idea to tie up to the mother ship so you can move easy....

One great tip I found online was to use a bungee cord from lifeline to buffer, this was AWESOME as it took the weight of the machine off and was a security device from it falling in the water which retracts when shortened. I'd definitely recommend this, also the rubbing compound is truly amazing at removing any stains.

Cheers!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Working from the dinghy will be somewhat of a challenge. There is a basic law of physics to overcome, and that is when you push on the side of the hull with an applicator or buffer you will push yourself away from the surface you are trying to work on. There will be some added effort involved to hold position.

Any wax job is no picnic. My situation is that the boat winters on the hard on a cradle. That means either a lot of ladder movement or construction of a temporary scaffold every year. Using a good cleaner wax like Collinite fleet wax takes out some of the drudgery. It was easier when the boats I had were smaller, and the kids hadn't moved away (adios free labor).

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I always polish from the dinghy tied to the rail to minimize movement. And when I get hot, the jump into the water is faster.

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
The professional boat detailers in my area use a raft made just for this purpose. Looks like a section of floating dock, except that it rides only a couple of inches above the water. Will often have dock steps, a swim ladder and a small outboard attached. Once you've seen one and you know what they're for, you tend to see many of them around. If you're lucky you might borrow one; they're definitely more stable than a RIB when pushing off the hull.

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Think I'll try using the dinghy and tying on to the rail. I'll experiment how best to tie the dinghy, close to hull or using opposing side, or maybe the middle. Since I'm using rubbing compound, worked well and I paid $30 for it, I'm a bit nervous about filling my dinghy with compound debris but I'll find out.
thanks all!

May 7, 2014
Beneteau 390 Tiburon
What kind of rubbing compound and wax do you all like? West marine stuff?

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Here is what I did and it took me 3-4 hours to do one side only on our 36 foot (in water):
Good cleaning
Applied 3M heavy duty compound according to instructions, I used a orbital buffer as its what I have. I also used a 1000 grid wet sandpaper for some REALLY tenacious streaks and marks but 95% came off with the compound and some serious buffing in trouble spots.
Applied Polishing 3M finesse
Applied Collenite wax (probably 885 though I don't remember the exact number)

This was a serious amount of work and when I do it again I'll skip the polishing and just do compounding and wax. The result was not like in the pictures but probably because I was exhausted from holding the orbital and laying, standing, sitting on the dock. I think I did well up thru applying compound and after that I got less enthusiastic. If FSR works as well I might try that but I'm invested in my compound and have experience with it.

I'm quite pleased getting all streaks out, nice white hull and a protective coat of wax was what I was looking for. All the materials are quite expensive and the wax went fast, the compound stretched far for me so I can lend some to my neighbor when he sees my white hull, right now the dirty hull is towards his boat so he's not jealous, yet....

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
OK finished the other side, used the dinghy and got $7 suction cups form home depot. The suction cups worked great, I used two straps to move the boat close for up top and further away for waterline. I'd say either way it was a big job and no clear winner, I think doing whatever side wherever it is would be my choice as turning the boat wouldn't have favorited one or the other. Now for doing the decks..... sigh

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Ok not purposefully trying to keep my thread alive here but maybe someone would find an update useful:

I spent the rest of my rubbing compound on the flat area on deck and cockpit, pretty much all used up now on a 36 foot with heavy oxidation. I tried using it on non skid but it ate my applicator pad in no time. Went with FSR, AMAZING stuff btw, and applied Woody Wax on deck. Hard to tell if non skid protection or finish was improved but I hope so, the woody wax is $$ and gets good reviews.

I did end up taking chunks off the already chunked pinstripes on the coach roof so my next project is to take the stripes off, at $100 for vinyl tape the Mrs. had the idea of just leaving it off, I might try that and see how it looks.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Did you wax the nonskid areas? I would think that is a risky idea as even though it's a textured surface, it can get pretty slippery even if it's dry.
I was just on my boat with an old pair of deck shoes and NO wax on the nonskid and nearly took an unscheduled swim. (The shoes just went into the trash).

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
I used the Woody Wax, its designed to be for non skid, and a few other uses, but it's definitely not slippery after it dried. Not sure how well it protects and the site says you have to reapply every 2 months, which is ok since it was a piece of cake compared to my rubbing compound project.....

I have waxed nonskid once long time ago and walking with crocks on it was like being on ice, scary.

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
I used Woody Wax on non-skid for the first time this season, and so far so good. Not slippery like regular wax I once applied to non-skid (won't ever do THAT again!) and so far has made cleaning off shoe marks, etc. very easy.