hull to deck seal

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Hi
I got a 272 le in oct. I noticed the hull liner stained on port and starboard in salon and a lot in the port side aft. I re bedded everything with butyl tape and wondering if some of the staining could be from the hull to deck joint. Don't know anything about it. If its not hard to re seal I'll do it. I'm launching it the end of July. Appreciate any feedback
thanks
Paul

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
If you look at how the deck joint works, it seems unlikely that rain would infiltrate there. That said, it is not impossible. To seal it, you would remove the rub rail. The joint is behind the rub rail. Seal it with 3m adhesive filler, and reinstall the rubrail. I have not done one.

I think those hull liners get stained from leaking deck penetrations and dampness over a 30 year span. I rebedded all my deck penetrations too, so we shall see.

Thanks,

Andrew

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I had a bad section of rub rail, about 18" long, that broken up a bit. The screws were loose and it leaked quite a bit.
I pulled the rub rail, filled all the rub rail attachment screw holes with 610 epoxy. Then pulled the joint screws a couple at a time, covered them with 3M 4200 and retightened. Found several that were loose. If I was doing it again would probably use 3M 5200.
Reinstalled the rub rail and that stopped 90% of the rain water leaking in.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
the rub rails often did not fit the curvature of the hull per Rudy so they would have to remove them and often the screw holes did not get filled correctly....there is a piece of wood fiberglassed in along the top of the sides....this wood is where the wooden toe rails are attached as well as the rub rails. Our 272 leaked very badly so we had to take the rub rail off completely and we found many holes not caulked......also per the manual, the joint between deck and top of the boat sides is suppose to be a flexible joint...having had my boat 28 years, I'm not totally convinced that you couldn't use 5200. This should have been a warranty claim but in the excitement of launching the boat when new and not wanting to start over, we did it ourselves along with the broker. pat

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
On my Oday 25 the wood glassed to the inside of the hull had rotten in certain places. This wood and the screws holding the hull and deck together are not accessible from the inside of the boat. The rotten wood made getting the screws to hold tight not possible. I solved the leaks by caulking the top and bottom of the rub rail and hull seams from the outside. This stopped the leaks. The hull and deck seam is 'flexible' and I have experienced that the seam will flex (and can open a leak) when the boat is hauled or launched via boatyard travel-lift. Caulking the rub rail as described above is a work around but is effective and the caulked seams will not open up when the boat is hauled or launched.