Hull reinforcement

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 33.5 Sackets Harbor
Has anyone had any need or experience in reinforcing some sections of hull. I have located a section of my hull that was weakened due to not enough reinforcement applied when she was laid up. How common or alarming is this?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Has anyone had any need or experience in reinforcing some sections of hull. I have located a section of my hull that was weakened due to not enough reinforcement applied when she was laid up. How common or alarming is this?
More details.

Why do you think it is weak (flexing, flexing and moving liner/furnishings, cracks, dents...)? Is the core damaged?

Some hulls can flex (pant) slightly in heavy going without damamge. Others not. I've had both.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
people do reinforce their hulls, make sure bulkheads are well glassed to the hull, add stringers etc, but as noted why do you think you have a problem.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It sounds to me you do not have much faith in the integrity of that boat and no matter how much work and money you put into her, I doubt you ever will. Therefor, I'd be much more inclined to sell that boat and find another that you do have faith in, and not do all the work you are suggesting.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Being in the boat repair biz, I actually have seen hull lay-ups where it appeared that the worker went to have a cup of coffee and then forgot to return to that area of the hull to finish it off. Not a common occurrence, but the manufacturer worked with us to get it fixed. I guess we need more detailed info on what is alarming you.

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 33.5 Sackets Harbor
Yes there is flex in the hull. upon examination, I found a longitudinal rib or strake that was not glassed properly and where it meets the hull, had deteriorated to the point of non existence. I'll try to attach a picture of what I found.
Thank you, to all, I appreciate additional perspectives.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
It sounds to me you do not have much faith in the integrity of that boat and no matter how much work and money you put into her, I doubt you ever will. Therefor, I'd be much more inclined to sell that boat and find another that you do have faith in, and not do all the work you are suggesting.
Glad my wife doesn't feel that way about me.....

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that hole was cut with an oxy-acetylene torch:

Hole.jpg

Looks like the resin was burned away and the glass fibers at the edge are left standing. Any mechanical cutting device (saw, drill bit, file, etc) would have cut the fibers off.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that hole was cut with an oxy-acetylene torch:

View attachment 175134

Looks like the resin was burned away and the glass fibers at the edge are left standing. Any mechanical cutting device (saw, drill bit, file, etc) would have cut the fibers off.
Nah, in the interests of low production costs the glass was not trimmed after it was laid up. It is also glass mat not cloth. The black stuff is just mysterious bilge crud, perhaps some dirt, old oil, dust from the hoses and v-belts.

A grinder might have been used to open up the hole some more. And that polyester filler was not thick enough when the pan was installed.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Or perhaps soot from a leaking exhaust riser or hose?
Maybe just the dust from the hose being chafed through by the rough edge. You might want to have a good look at those hoses.
I'm sure the rib could be glassed in properly if you can get at it. After seeing the Hunter 40 repairs thread, I am certain this can be fixed.