Hull Number

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Where would the hull number be on a 1983 Beneteau Fuirst 38? I checked the transom and there's nothing.

And, what is the small receptacle on the porthe transom space for the life raft on the portside

Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
Try looking behind the forward port settee cushions near he area where the chainplate ties to the hull.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Where would the hull number be on a 1983 Beneteau Fuirst 38? I checked the transom and there's nothing.

It should be embossed on the upper starboard corner of the transom, unless it was buffed off, or glassed over in a repair. Seems like this happens sometimes.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Juan, on my 1984 First 38 the number is on the upper starboard side of the transom, inside of the starboard aft locker and on the metal plate attached to the forward face of the helmsman seat.

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Juan, on my 1984 First 38 the number is on the upper starboard side of the transom, inside of the starboard aft locker and on the metal plate attached to the forward face of the helmsman seat.
Thank you for the detail about the locker. I've been looking on the outside of the transom (in the life raft compartment), but did not look inside the locker.
Just to be clear, you mean where the manual bilge pump is, right?

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
I found mine!!! Also painted. The State of Texas requires a picture of it when registering a boat from out of state. I was expecting an engraving on the hull, but my number appears to have been painted. Hopefully that won't be a problem.

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
At least on mine. There is the order number painted there as well.
OK, I just realized the number I found is the Coast Guard registration number; not the hull number that would start with the letters BEY (for Beneteau). So, once again, I would ask for guidance from any other Beneteau First 38 owners, as I am unable to register my boat in Texas if I don't provide a tracing of the hull number.

JM

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
If your vessel is USCG documentsed, you don't need state registration...see Do USCG Documented Vessels Need State Registration or Decals?

If you have the USCG Official Number, you can look up the Hull Number here. USCG PSIX Search Page. Put the Official Number in the Primary Vessel Number field.
Thank you. The issue I am having is that Texas requires "registration" (not title) of a USCG documented vessel for purposes of collecting taxes. And I have the hull number on the USCG title. But the State of Texas also requires that I "prove" the "identity" of the boat by tracing or photographing the hull number stamped on the boat.
I can't find that number stamped anywhere. Maybe it's not even stamped anywhere and I just need to carve the hull number myself (I don't believe the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, which has jurisdiction over boat registration, wouldn't know any better anyway). But it seems odd that is a hull number exists, it would not be stamped somewhere on the hull itself.

Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
Possibly glassed over in a repair? I think you'll just need to make one yourself. Possibly have a metal plate stamped with the number and gelcoat it into place on the transom, then trace it once dry.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Have you examined the boats license/registration/paperwork. It is usually posted in the paperwork.

If not it is tattooed somewhere on the boat, often the Starboard Stern area.

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Yes, I have the number. I just need to show the authorities that the boat i have is the same for which the paperwork is issued.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I just need to show the authorities that the boat i have is the same for which the paperwork is issued.
If you have the number, why not just paint it somewhere reasonable ie. inside a locker or lazarette. There must have been some repair work done to your transom at one point to obscure the factory stamp.