Hull liner mildew

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Donna L

We recently bought a 1985 31 and overall, love the boat. But the hull liner is mildewed and discolored. Has anyone found something that will clean this well or has anyone replaced theirs? Is replacement a project for novices ? Many thanks

S

Stephen Ostrander

the fungus among us

When I bought my '86 28.5 it had the same problem. I had Stanley Steamer come and clean the liner and it turned out great, but they have to have electrical and water near the boat. I would not reccommend that you replace unless you are a professional upholsterer. You could shampoo it yourself and then suck the water out with a wet vac, but in my case it was worth the $75 I paid Stanley and I'd do ita again if I had too.

D

Don

Good Luck

I have a '84 31' that had a lot of mildew when I bought it due to neglect. I bought a "green machine" by Hoover, I think, for about $75 at KMark or Wallmart. It's a portable upholstery cleaner, similar to a carpet shampooer. In the machine I have used every concotion known to man to get the mildew stains off. It's tough going. The best additive had been a mildew remover from West Marine. Yellow stuff in a spay bottle. Spray it, soak it, vaccuum it, spray it, soak, vaccuum it, etc., and curse a lot. Also, wear one of those masks for breathing while painting, etc. The fumes will get pretty rough. Dont' use a scrub brush in the hull liner tho. It will fray the fibers and leave it looking bad. Just spray, soak, spray, soak ...

D

David

Cleaning Hull Liner

I recently cleaned the liner and cushions on my 1988 H33.5. I rented a vacuum carpet cleaning machine with upholstery attachments from a local hardware store and cleaned both the hull liner and cushions. The results were well worth the effort. I mixed a concoction of carpet cleaning liquid and "Odor Gone". It took about four hours; the cost of the cleaners and vacuum was about 30 dollars. Just pick a clear day with low humidity so that you can place the cushions in the sunlight to dry. Open the boat and place a couple of fans to accelerate drying the liner.

W

web4u2

Negative Ions

Although you can benefit from professional cleaning of the mildew'ed liner, it does not get rid of the mildew.....Enter the Negative Ion generator.....It well prevent the mildew from growing and also eliminate a lot of the smell......A large tower unit can be purchased from Shaper Image for about $225 (they have smaller , cheaper units that work but have much less effect......plug it, stand on galley table and run fulltime when boat is in dock..... Cheers

J

Jim

Mildew killer

I had similar problem on a H30. I sprayed mildew killer, which can be purchased at the super market in a pump spray. This has bleach in it, so test it on the fabric where it can't be seen. It didn't bleach out the fabric on my boat, but put an end to the mildew.

J

Jim McCue

Mildew liner

Have you tried Lyson Direct? My wife works for the company and a few years back someone wrote them saying that they even use it to clean the teak! I've tried it and it works nicely - at least you don't have to miz 2 bottles of chemicals. just a dobby pad- a brush is alittle too rough on the wood grains.

Status
Not open for further replies.