Hull Gelcoat Color Match - 1987 Hunter 40 Legend

rjm

Sep 13, 2015
Hunter 40 Legend Annapolis
I have a 1987 Hunter 40 Legend. I need to do some gel coat work. Does anyone know what color I should be using? I haven't yet found an database for which shade of white is the best match for my hull. I'd prefer to be able to buy a stock shade as opposed to trying to mix my own color. Thank you for any help!

Aug 6, 2012
Catalina 30 MKIII wing keel tall rig 6255 Wilmette,
I get a good color match for my Catalina from iboats.com.

Aug 16, 2016
Pacific Dolphin 24 Phoenix, Arizona
The Awl Grip color chips match the colored gelcoat sold by Jamestown Distributors. I've used it to match the hull on my 1978 Pacific Dolphin. Maybe a drop or two of additional tint has been required for an exact match to my boat.

rjm

Sep 13, 2015
Hunter 40 Legend Annapolis
Thanks everyone. I've seen the Spectrum products on line before. The only problem is that the colors listed are 1983 Hunter and then it skips years to 1988-1989 Hunter. I have a call in with Phillips66-Spectrum to inquire as to one of these options matches the 87 Legend. If that doesn't work perhaps I will go with the Awl Grip color swatches. Cheers

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
You could also remove very well surface oxidation on a small section of gelcoat, then use RAL cards to match the colour. Afterwards, order gelcoat in matching RAL, places like Fibre Glast will make you matching colour in RAL.