Hull flattening

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J. Hime

I am looking to buy an O'Day 28 and noticed a flattened area on each side of the hull about midships. This appears to be a deformity. Does anyone have knowledge or advice about this? Just doesn't look right. Thanks - JH

S

steve growcock

I suspect the deformity is due to too much weight on the stands when the boat is out of water and in a cradle. I do not know if they "popout" when relieved of pressure or require some attention. Perhaps someone else can assist. I've sailed a 28, nice boat! Steve!

V

Vic

Some later Odays have a thin hull in spots ...

and you have to be careful where to support them ... but the thin hull is also very flexible and if there are no stress cracks in the gel coat ... the skin is probably ok. have seen it a half dozen times on the 272 and when it starts to dimple ... you just look for an internal structure backing so you know where to support the hull so it won't dimple. Vic

R

Rod Sheaffer

Flatten

Yes! My Oday 28 has the same area of distortion in it. It is when they put the stinger in the boat and it pulled the hall in when the glass cured.

M

MG

In the cradle?

A couple of times when I put my O'Day 28 on the hard for winter lay up there was a flat spot under the support pad. My cradle has adjustable supports (screws) which are easly adjusted with a touch of oil and a large channel lock or other such wrench. Backing the screw out (down) takes the flat spot out. One spring I noticed the flat spot which I assume had been there all winter. When the boat was lifted it disappeared with no harm done. The 28 is a very durable boat. No worries mate.

D

David C. Hirtle

Good Morning We owned a 28' for ten years and noticed that the flat spot on either side of the boat was in the same general area where the chain plates are attached to the hull. Nothing to worry about if that is the case. Enjoy the boat. They are a well made craft!

Status
Not open for further replies.