Hull/deck joint leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2006
- - NCYC La Salle, MI
The bolts connecting the deck and hull at the genoa track were loose and allowing water to enter the cabin. I tightened the bolts, but the joint continues to leak. I could take up the genoa track and caulk under that; but will that cure the leak? the water appears to be coming from three adjacent bolts.

B

Bob

Definitely

Jerry, Like an old house, weather stripping on an old car or worn out shoes, things in time on a boat will show their ugly face! Sealants are no exceptions. If you located the source your half way home. The best thing is to remove the track, inspect the bolts and nuts and replace the washers with fresh stainless locking types and clean off the old sealant where visible. Their are several sealants on the market and and just as many opinions on them as well! I like Lifecaulk, but others might recommend 3M. The best thing to do is research a bit, talk to your local boat store guy and get back to work. When resealing, do not forget to add some sealant into the screw hole besides under the track to seal the water pathway. Do not go crazy on torqueing down the screws for fear of impacting the core. The track is very long and the pull stress is divided pretty evenly through the piece. Their might even be a factory torque spec available, but a good snug is better then pressing the gelcoat and core material. You'll need someone down below holding the socket. Have a can of acetone and rags ready for clean up. Bob '88 Catalina

Aug 12, 2006
- - Portland, OR
Caulk

Bob pretty much said it all and said it well, but I would like to endorse life caulk and 3M 4200. You use 5200 at your own peril as you will never get the genoa track up again with out a jack hammer. As Bob said, be sure to put caulk under the screw heads to seal the pathway around the screws. I think it is a good idea to just snug the screws with a cordless drill with the clutch set at the lowest position, allow the caulk to set overnight, and then torque the screws tighter the next day so that the caulk has a few extra mills of thickness when the job is done. Be sure that the hull is very clean under the track too. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.